Question about Hardcore difficulty.

Forum now read-only, closed for posting. For support please go to the Steam forums.
michel000

Question about Hardcore difficulty.

Post by michel000 »

Hi,
I've been playing Dark Messiah on hardcore for a bit now, but now I'm stuck.

When I get to the part where I power up the spider temple, and am challenged to a duel by the orcish leader.
He walks up to me, does his speach, and immediately attacks me, before I get my controlls back.
Which, on hardcore, insta-gibs me.

Now, I've tried to kill him before he reaches me, with fire traps and oil.
But since orcs, as demonic are resistant to fire, this did not really work out well.

What should I do to get past this?
Even my phoenix ring didn't revive me.

Seems to me that while developing this mode, they didn't even test it for playability...
Should I just use a cheat to kill him?

Regards,
Michel.
Blín D'ñero
Site Admin

Re: Question about Hardcore difficulty.

Post by Blín D'ñero »

Hello Michel.
Have a powerful weapon (Orc sword, for instance) in your hand.

Save (new save) during the speech (just before the end) to make replay quicker, if you didn't already.

After speech,
Immediately run to the right and jump forward, turn around to him. Hack on him (jump and slash). Timing is crucial! He is trying the same on you, so watch his momentum. Hit at his weakest (that is just before him trying the same on you), you must start a millionth of a second before him. When you do it right, one slash hits him to the ground, then you walk towards him and finish him off.
Or: 2 or 3 well-timed slashes in a row kill him. You can kick him in between, it will hurt him.

But make sure you are well-armoured and powered (in the inventory). And using a Sword of Fire (however powerful it is) isn't helpful, because it's too slow.
Main PC: Asus TUF Gaming 570-Pro (wi-fi) * AMD Ryzen 7 5800X * Noctua NH-D15 * Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB * Asus TUF Radeon 6800XT * Creative AE-9PE * 2 x Samsung 980 Pro * 7 x WD Gold HDD * Corsair HX 1000 * 1 x Asus DRW-24D5MT * Dell U3010 * Windows 10 x64 *

Office PC: Asus ROG Strix X570-E * AMD Ryzen 7 3800X * Noctua NH-D15 * Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB * MSI Radeon 5700XT * Creative Soundblaster ZxR * 2 x Corsair Force MP600 * 7 x WD Gold HDD * Corsair AX 1200W * 1 x Asus DRW-24D5MT * Dell P4317Q * Windows 10 x64 *

Old workhorse PC: * Intel i7 4790K * Noctua NH-D15S * Asus Maximus VII Hero * Corsair Force MP510 480GB M.2 SSD * 32 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum CMD32GX3M4A2133C9 * Sapphire Radeon R9 290 * 3 x Dell U2410 @ Eyefinity 5760 x 1200 * Corsair HX 1000i * 7 x WD Black / Gold HDDs * Creative Soundblaster ZxR * Asus DRW F1ST * Corsair K95 RGB * Corsair M65 PRO RGB * Steelseries 9HD * Coolermaster STC T01 * Edifier S530 * Sennheiser HD598 * Windows 10 x64 *