Some essential tips for Windows 7 / Vista

Knowledgebase collection for PC, as well as useful tools.
Blín D'ñero
Site Admin

Some essential tips for Windows 7 / Vista

Post by Blín D'ñero »

Configuring the QL Toolbar in Windows 7.

By default, Windows 7 has it disabled. After following steps i now have the same quicklaunchbar as i had in Vista.

Adding the Quick Launch Toolbar in Windows 7: (source)
  1. Right click the Taskbar and select Toolbars > New Toolbar.
    • In the Choose A Folder window, navigate to:
    • C:\Users\*your* username\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch.
    • Click Select Folder.

This will add the Quick Launch Toolbar to the right side of the Taskbar.
  2. Right click the Taskbar and make sure that it is Unlocked.
  3. On the Left Side of the Quick Launch Toolbar you will see 3 vertical rows of Dots. This is the Toolbar Handle. Use the mouse to grab that handle and drag the QL toolbar as far to the left as it will go.
  4. Next, grab the Handle for the Taskbar Icons and drag it as far to the right as it will go.This should switch the toolbars.
  5. Next, drag the QL toolbar to the left as far as it will go. This should place it next to the Start Button. Right click an empty spot on the QL toolbar and remove the check marks from 'Show Text' and 'Show Title'.
  6. Finally, carefully drag the Taskbar Icons to the left until the QL toolbar is the size you prefer. Of course you can add any program from the Start menu to it.
  7. Right click the Taskbar and select 'Lock the Taskbar'.
Main PC: Asus TUF Gaming 570-Pro (wi-fi) * AMD Ryzen 7 5800X * Noctua NH-D15 * Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB * Asus TUF Radeon 6800XT * Creative AE-9PE * 2 x Samsung 980 Pro * 7 x WD Gold HDD * Corsair HX 1000 * 1 x Asus DRW-24D5MT * Dell U3010 * Windows 10 x64 *

Office PC: Asus ROG Strix X570-E * AMD Ryzen 7 3800X * Noctua NH-D15 * Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB * MSI Radeon 5700XT * Creative Soundblaster ZxR * 2 x Corsair Force MP600 * 7 x WD Gold HDD * Corsair AX 1200W * 1 x Asus DRW-24D5MT * Dell P4317Q * Windows 10 x64 *

Old workhorse PC: * Intel i7 4790K * Noctua NH-D15S * Asus Maximus VII Hero * Corsair Force MP510 480GB M.2 SSD * 32 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum CMD32GX3M4A2133C9 * Sapphire Radeon R9 290 * 3 x Dell U2410 @ Eyefinity 5760 x 1200 * Corsair HX 1000i * 7 x WD Black / Gold HDDs * Creative Soundblaster ZxR * Asus DRW F1ST * Corsair K95 RGB * Corsair M65 PRO RGB * Steelseries 9HD * Coolermaster STC T01 * Edifier S530 * Sennheiser HD598 * Windows 10 x64 *
Blín D'ñero
Site Admin

Re: Some essential tips for Windows 7 / Vista

Post by Blín D'ñero »

Windows 7: Disable the annoying hypersnap

Go to: Control Panel\Ease of Access Center\Make the mouse easier to use
check ON: Prevent windows from being automatically arranged when moved to the edge of the screenc

Terminate Sticky Keys:
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\\Control Panel\\Accessibility\\StickyKeys] -> "Flags"="0"
Main PC: Asus TUF Gaming 570-Pro (wi-fi) * AMD Ryzen 7 5800X * Noctua NH-D15 * Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB * Asus TUF Radeon 6800XT * Creative AE-9PE * 2 x Samsung 980 Pro * 7 x WD Gold HDD * Corsair HX 1000 * 1 x Asus DRW-24D5MT * Dell U3010 * Windows 10 x64 *

Office PC: Asus ROG Strix X570-E * AMD Ryzen 7 3800X * Noctua NH-D15 * Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB * MSI Radeon 5700XT * Creative Soundblaster ZxR * 2 x Corsair Force MP600 * 7 x WD Gold HDD * Corsair AX 1200W * 1 x Asus DRW-24D5MT * Dell P4317Q * Windows 10 x64 *

Old workhorse PC: * Intel i7 4790K * Noctua NH-D15S * Asus Maximus VII Hero * Corsair Force MP510 480GB M.2 SSD * 32 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum CMD32GX3M4A2133C9 * Sapphire Radeon R9 290 * 3 x Dell U2410 @ Eyefinity 5760 x 1200 * Corsair HX 1000i * 7 x WD Black / Gold HDDs * Creative Soundblaster ZxR * Asus DRW F1ST * Corsair K95 RGB * Corsair M65 PRO RGB * Steelseries 9HD * Coolermaster STC T01 * Edifier S530 * Sennheiser HD598 * Windows 10 x64 *
Blín D'ñero
Site Admin

Post by Blín D'ñero »

Windows 7 - disable startup repair launching by default

Very important, for anyone who overclocks, so for me.

Open cmd prompt with admin privileges.
Then:
busterh wrote:Here's how to do it, PROPERLY:

bcdedit /set {default} bootstatuspolicy ignoreallfailures

You can crash as often as you like and you will not be prompted for the Startup Repair.

To restore things to normal, simply issue the following command:

bcdedit /set {default} bootstatuspolicy displayallfailures
Source
sevenforums

Blín D'ñero
Site Admin

Post by Blín D'ñero »

Windows Vista: Default Folder Template Patch
Intended For
Windows Vista only!
Default Folder Template Patch

Windows Vista has a bug that prevents it from choosing the correct view for a folder based on its contents, which is why you may see thumbnails when they're not appropriate, and no thumbnails when they're needed. The following patch stops Vista from trying to guess how to display a folder, instead forcing it to use the template of your choice.
See instructions including ResetExplorer.exe and ChooseTemplate.reg here: https://www.annoyances.org/exec/show/choosetemplate

Or do it manually: https://www.tweakguides.com/VA_4.html

Windows Vista Ultimate x64, error "ATK - system - ATK0110 ACPI utility" update fails to install:

Solution: Delete/rename ASACPI.sys from system32\drivers and try again.

Blín D'ñero
Site Admin

Post by Blín D'ñero »

Windows 7 / Vista - disable hibernation

Might as well disable it -saves me about 9½ gigabytes while i don't use the function anymore anyway.

You can set hibernation to "off" / "never" in Control Panel > Power Options, but that still leaves a hybernation file (C:\hiberfil.sys) which is 75% of the total amount of installed RAM on your PC; it doesn't go away by itself.
For this reason the method below is better.

1. In the search bar above the Start Orb type

cmd
  2. right-click on cmd.exe > run as admin
  3. Type in the following command:

powercfg -H off
  4. and hit Enter.
  5. The function will still be available in the Start menu, but results in system reboot when you try to use it.
To enable it again, type

powercfg -H on

But Hybrid Sleep might be very useful. So you may want to disable the previous step again, if you did that. :D
I'm using monitor sleep (5 minutes, or 20 minutes), and that might very well be using hiberfil.sys too!

What's the difference between sleep, hibernate, and hybrid sleep?
Sleep is a power-saving state that allows a computer to quickly resume full-power operation (typically within several seconds) when you want to start working again. Putting your computer into the sleep state is like pausing a DVD player—the computer immediately stops what it’s doing and is ready to start again when you want to resume working.

Hibernation is a power-saving state designed primarily for laptops. While sleep puts your work and settings in memory and draws a small amount of power, hibernation puts your open documents and programs on your hard disk, and then turns off your computer. Of all the power-saving states in Windows, hibernation uses the least amount of power. On a laptop, use hibernation when you know that you won't use your laptop for an extended period and won't have an opportunity to charge the battery during that time.

Hybrid sleep is designed primarily for desktop computers. Hybrid sleep is a combination of sleep and hibernate—it puts any open documents and programs in memory and on your hard disk, and then puts your computer into a low-power state so that you can quickly resume your work. That way, if a power failure occurs, Windows can restore your work from your hard disk. When hybrid sleep is turned on, putting your computer into sleep automatically puts your computer into hybrid sleep. Hybrid sleep is typically turned on by default on desktop computers.
Source (microsoft.com)

Blín D'ñero
Site Admin

Post by Blín D'ñero »

Windows Vista / 7 Disappearing System Tray Icons Fix

Or simply ending and restarting the explorer.exe may be enough.

Disable Core Parking
What is Core Parking:https://blogs.technet.com/b/askperf/archive/2009/10/03/windows-7-windows-server-2008-r2-core-parking-intelligent-timer-tick-timer-coalescing.aspx
Windows 7 on Quad CPU's (Intel's with hyperthreading): Core Parking can cause stuttering, dynamic lags and peaks, in games.
The fix: Disable Core Parking Windows 7 Tweak may improve performance ultimatecomputers.net
The Fix
- Go to Regedit
- Select Edit > Find... and find this key: " 0cc5b647-c1df-4637-891a-dec35c318583 "
- Within this key, there is a value called: " ValueMax " This value represents the % number of cores the system will park
- Change the value of " ValueMax" to 0 so that, it matches " ValueMin "
- You will have to find the key a few times and repeat the process for each time it is found - the number of instances will depend on the number of power profiles in your system. To do this go back up to Edit > Find Next. (I had 3 instances of this key in my registry.)
- Do a full shutdown and power-off and cold-re-start.

The Result
Better load balancing across all you CPU cores - no spiking - in Windows 7 Task Manager

Win Timer Tester

First make sure if you have the option in BIOS to enable HPET (High Precision Event Timer) (wiki). You can also look in Control Panel > Device Manager under system devices for "high precision event timer".

And disable the AMD External Events Utility in the list of services. Read more
unclewebb wrote:The problem you guys are running into is a new Windows 7 "feature".

To accurately measure time in a Windows PC, software uses the QueryPerformanceCounter function. Many applications, especially games, depend on this Windows function to accurately calculate FPS as well as for many other timing purposes in game including sound.

The problem is that for many computers, this function in Windows 7 is now based on the clock speed of the processor. If you overclock in the bios and then boot up, this timer is calibrated and will work 100% correctly. If you use SetFSB or a similar program and you change the bus speed from within Windows, you have now just screwed up this very important timing mechanism. The number of applications that can choke after you do this is surprising, especially games.

I wrote a program called WinTimerTester to test for this problem.

WinTimerTester 1.1
https://www.mediafire.com/?xzo9n84d8lze9nb
https://www.sendspace.com/file/xadvhe

What it does is it runs two different clocks in your CPU at the same time and compares them to make sure they are both running at the same speed. It compares the Windows GetTickCount function to the QueryPerformanceCounter function and within approximately 60 to 100 seconds, these two timers should be running at a perfect 1.0000 : 1 ratio.

If you overclock your CPU with SetFSB and WinTimerTester reports that these timers are not running at a 1.0000 : 1 ratio, that shows that you have this bug and you have also overclocked this important timer within your computer which can screw up a variety of programs in a variety of ways.

Luckily there is a solution to this Windows bug. Microsoft actually considers this a feature but for anyone that uses SetFSB on a regular basis, it's a big bug.

To fix this problem, open up a command window and type in this:

bcdedit /set useplatformclock true

You will have to exit the command window and reboot before this setting can take affect. What this does is it changes Windows so the QueryPerformanceCounter function will be based on a fixed counter that is not influenced by SetFSB. That one line of code should correct this problem and your games will run fine when using SetFSB.

If you ever want to go back to the original buggered up timer that Windows uses then open up a command window and type in this.

bcdedit /deletevalue useplatformclock

Once again, reboot and things will be back to the default Windows 7 timer. These two images should show you when your internal timers are broken and what WinTimerTester will report when your internal timer is fixed. This only applies to Windows 7. There is a similar fix for Windows XP so PM me if you need it.

https://img202.imageshack.us/img202/377 ... broken.png

https://img96.imageshack.us/img96/8417/timerfix.png

Let me know if this finally solves your problem. My friend some_one over on XtremeSystems told me about this little trick.

Disgustipated: On a different note. It would be a good idea to run ThrottleStop and increase your TDP/TDC settings to ensure that you get full turbo boost when you are overclocking with SetFSB. If you don't increase TDP/TDC then your bus speed can go up but your multiplier might go down when fully loaded so you won't get the full benefit of your overclock. Send me a PM if you need to know more about how to properly test for full turbo boost at full load.

One last thing. Many 3D gaming benchmarks don't correct for this problem so you can't trust their results when using SetFSB if your laptop has this timing issue. I believe the 3DMark series corrects for this problem and can be trusted.
Source notebookreview.com

Als this thread might be worth a read.

Blín D'ñero
Site Admin

Post by Blín D'ñero »

Processor Affinity
Assign Processor Affinity to Improve Performance
blog.tune-up

Or use CPU-Control (koma-code.de)
CPU-Control handles the CPU-affinity for multicore-systems (supports quadcores as well). Instead of running each process on both CPUs you can define it as you want it. For example, if you want to seperate the firewall and the anti-virus-software from the graphics-application.

CPU-Controls offers five different ways to control the CPU-affinity:
  • Automatic: It chooses alternatingly one CPU for each new process
  • Manual: You define a list, where you can set the way to handle each process
  • All processes run on CPU 1, which is useful for old applications which crashes on a dual core system
  • All processes run on CPU 2
  • Deactivated

Setting processor affinity made easy
Source: windows vista forums
Tiberius Jonez wrote:While dual core and quad core processors are a great advance in processing power, many games in XP and Vista run better on a single core. Need for Speed Underground is one such game. In my search to find an easy way to set processor affinity, I found the easy method outlined below. This method is the best I've found and actually WORKS without having to make system-wide changes.

Enjoy!

Here's a tip I use for some games which have problems with dual core. It saves the trouble of [alt][tab] out of the game each time, and I find it easier than creating a batch file. You may have already seen this, if so, the short answer is written in red at the bottom of this post.....

Affinity and priority can be permanently added to an application's shortcut so that you don't have to change it every time you run it.

To begin, create a shortcut to the game on the desktop.

Right click the shortcut and select properties. In the "shortcut" tab, find the line for "target". Copy this in front of the target: C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /C START "Need for Speed Undercover" /high /affinity 1. Now, NFS Underground will automatically run in high priority on Core 0.

Here's an example for the game Tombraider Legend which also balks at dual core processing.

The target line originally looks like this:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Tomb Raider - Legend\trl.exe"
So I change it to this:
C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /C START "Tomb Raider" /high /affinity 1 "C:\Program Files (x86)\Tomb Raider - Legend\trl.exe"
The affinity can be set to any CPU core by changing the number to the corresponding hex value.
1st core = 1
2nd core = 2
3rd core = 4
4th core = 8
5th core = 10 ( hexadecimal 16 )
6th core = 20 ( hexadecimal 32 )

The priority can have any value of either: low, normal, high, realtime, abovenormal, belownormal.

So to run on only the 4th core at high priority you would put:
C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /C START "Tomb Raider" /high /affinity 8 "C:\Program Files (x86)\Tomb Raider - Legend\trl.exe"
or to run on the 2nd AND 3rd cores with priority realtime you would put:
C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /C START "Tomb Raider" /realtime /affinity 6 "C:\Program Files (x86)\Tomb Raider - Legend\trl.exe" (Since 2+4=6)
Sometimes if the game needs to be run as administrator, then you get an error from not starting in the correct folder. Then also add:
/d "<directory>"
The end result being:
C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /C START "Tomb Raider" /d "C:\Program Files (x86)\Tomb Raider - Legend" /high /affinity 1 "C:\Program Files (x86)\Tomb Raider - Legend\trl.exe"

Finally, you just need to change the icon since this will set it to the CMD icon. From the same window, click "change icon" then browse to the location of the exe.
And if you need to run as admin, click the advanced button and check the box"run as administrator"

Blín D'ñero
Site Admin

Post by Blín D'ñero »

How to use the Bootrec.exe tool in the Windows Recovery Environment to troubleshoot and repair startup issues in Windows Vista support.microsoft.com
You can use the Bootrec.exe tool in the Windows Recovery Environment (Windows RE) to troubleshoot and repair the following items in Windows Vista or Windows 7:
  • A master boot record (MBR)
  • A boot sector
  • A Boot Configuration Data (BCD) store
Note When you are troubleshooting startup issues by using the Windows RE, you should first try the Startup Repair option in the System Recovery Options dialog box. If the Startup Repair option does not resolve the issue, or if you must troubleshoot more steps manually, use the Bootrec.exe tool.
To run the Bootrec.exe tool, you must start Windows RE. To do this, follow these steps:
  1. Put the Windows Vista or Windows 7 installation disc in the disc drive, and then start the computer.
  2. Press a key when you are prompted.
  3. Select a language, a time, a currency, a keyboard or an input method, and then click Next.
  4. Click Repair your computer.
  5. Click the operating system that you want to repair, and then click Next.
  6. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, click Command Prompt.
  7. Type Bootrec.exe, and then press ENTER.
Note To start the computer from the Windows Vista or Windows 7 DVD, the computer must be configured to start from the DVD drive. For more information about how to configure the computer to start from the DVD drive, see the documentation that is included with the computer or contact the computer manufacturer.

Bootrec.exe options
The Bootrec.exe tool supports the following options. Use the option that is appropriate for your situation.

Note If rebuilding the BCD does not resolve the startup issue, you can export and delete the BCD, and then run this option again. By doing this, you make sure that the BCD is completely rebuilt. To do this, type the following commands at the Windows RE command prompt:
  • bcdedit /export C:\BCD_Backup
  • c:
  • cd boot
  • attrib bcd -s -h -r
  • ren c:\boot\bcd bcd.old
  • bootrec /RebuildBcd
/FixMbr
The /FixMbr option writes a Windows 7 or Windows Vista-compatible MBR to the system partition. This option does not overwrite the existing partition table. Use this option when you must resolve MBR corruption issues, or when you have to remove non-standard code from the MBR.
/FixBoot
The /FixBoot option writes a new boot sector to the system partition by using a boot sector that is compatible with Windows Vista or Windows 7. Use this option if one of the following conditions is true:
  • The boot sector has been replaced with a non-standard Windows Vista or Windows 7 boot sector.
  • The boot sector is damaged.
  • An earlier Windows operating system has been installed after Windows Vista or Windows 7 was installed. In this scenario, the computer starts by using Windows NT Loader (NTLDR) instead of Windows Boot Manager (Bootmgr.exe).
/ScanOs
The /ScanOs option scans all disks for installations that are compatible with Windows Vista or Windows 7. Additionally, this option displays the entries that are currently not in the BCD store. Use this option when there are Windows Vista or Windows 7 installations that the Boot Manager menu does not list.

/RebuildBcd
The /RebuildBcd option scans all disks for installations that are compatible with Windows Vista or Windows 7. Additionally, this option lets you select the installations that you want to add to the BCD store. Use this option when you must completely rebuild the BCD.

APPLIES TO
  • Windows Vista Ultimate
  • Windows Vista Enterprise
  • Windows Vista Business
  • Windows Vista Home Premium
  • Windows Vista Home Basic
  • Windows Vista Business 64-bit Edition
  • Windows Vista Enterprise 64-bit Edition
  • Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit Edition
  • Windows Vista Home Basic 64-bit Edition
  • Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit Edition
  • Windows 7 Enterprise
  • Windows 7 Enterprise N
  • Windows 7 Home Basic
  • Windows 7 Home Premium
  • Windows 7 Home Premium N
  • Windows 7 Professional
  • Windows 7 Professional N
  • Windows 7 Starter
  • Windows 7 Starter N
  • Windows 7 Ultimate
  • Windows 7 Ultimate N

Blín D'ñero
Site Admin

Post by Blín D'ñero »

If you are running 32-bit Windows 7 / Vista / XP, this is something you must do:
"Prevent access to 16-bit applications" in the Computer Configuration \ Administrative Templates \ Windows Components \ Application Compatibility section.

Vista / Windows 7:
“Click Start, click Run, type gpedit.msc in the Open box, and then click OK. This opens the Group Policy console.
1. Expand the Administrative Templates folder, and then click Windows Components.
2. Click the Application Compatibility folder.
3. In the details pane, double click the Prevent access to 16-bit applications policy setting. By default, this is set to Not Configured.
4. Change the policy setting to Enabled, and then click OK.
Impact of Workaround: Users will not be able to run 16-bit applications.”
Or (Windows 7):
In the Search field above the Start button, type (or paste):
edit group policy
then click on the link Edit group policy
User Configuration > Windows Components > All Settings > find:
Prevent access to 16-bit applications
then turn it on.
Affected Software
  • Microsoft Windows 2000 Service Pack 4
  • Windows XP Service Pack 2 and Windows XP Service Pack 3
  • Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 2
  • Windows Vista, Windows Vista Service Pack 1, and Windows Vista Service Pack 2
  • Windows Server 2008 for 32-bit Systems and Windows Server 2008 for 32-bit Systems Service Pack 2*
  • Windows 7 for 32-bit Systems

Non-Affected Software
  • Windows XP Professional x64 Edition Service Pack 2
  • Windows Server 2003 x64 Edition Service Pack 2
  • Windows Server 2003 with SP2 for Itanium-based Systems
  • Windows Vista x64 Edition, Windows Vista x64 Edition Service Pack 1, and Windows Vista x64 Edition Service Pack 2
  • Windows Server 2008 for x64-based Systems and Windows Server 2008 for x64-based Systems Service Pack 2
  • Windows Server 2008 for Itanium-based Systems and Windows Server 2008 for Itanium-based Systems Service Pack 2
  • Windows 7 for x64-based Systems
  • Windows Server 2008 R2 for x64-based Systems
  • Windows Server 2008 R2 for Itanium-based Systems
Source
microsoft.com/technet

Blín D'ñero
Site Admin

Post by Blín D'ñero »

In Windows 7, the location of Cookies:

Location of cookies:
C:\Users\(*YOU*)\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies
and
C:\Users\(*YOU*)\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\Low