About soundcards

Get assistance for technical problems with your PC. Or share your insights.
TakalQc

Re: About soundcards

Post by TakalQc »

oh god...

By chance I didn't order the Auzentech Prelude before I fell on this: (you can just give it a quick look, I'll explain the most important parts of this page in this post :D) http://www.musiconmypc.co.uk/art_record ... _on_pc.php

The method I'm presently using to record my guitar is "The Simple Cable", wich consist of plugging a 1/4" male jack in my amplifier and plugging the other 1/8" male jack end of the cable into my computer (the microphone jack or line in jack, they do the same job).
This is the simplest way, but offers horrible quality.

Upgrading my soundcard is one way to improve this, but only professional cards can offer a considerable improvement.
The Auzentech Prelude could do the job well too, and I think that's why you recommended it to me this much. It's still not a professional card, but it's an allround card that has amazing functions.

After reading all this, I know what you're thinking now: "Where's the problem then?"

THE THING IS, I NEED a preamp in order to make the soundcard upgrade work... wich I don't have! And I'm not only basing my information on this site. Everywhere I looked, it told me that a preamp is necessary. If I wanted to buy one, it would really start to cost a lot, with the card :wth:
So 160$ for the card + MINIMUM 100$ for the preamp... + taxes and all the other random fees... let's say, 300$?

Wow...

I found a better deal
This: http://www.behringer.de/EN/Products/UCG102.aspx
I found it at 40$ on Amazon.com. I mean... wow! I watched some videos showing how it looks like... and it was amazing! The quality was awesome!

And I found many other tools made for guitar recording, and they all sound awesome! And totally in my budget!
But the best deal, in my opinion, remains the http://www.behringer.de/EN/Products/UCG102.aspx

But this post is called "About soundcards", right?
And that's a good thing, because I'm still looking for a soundcard to replace my onboard one :D

I discard the Auzentech Prelude, because the big thing on it was the recording options, wich I don't need anymore....

So now, I'm only looking to improve games and music.
I'm not looking for something over 100$, in fact maybe 60$-70$ could be the limit too, because, as I said, the only reason I went to 160$ was because of the recording options.

And under 100$, oh boy! They all look the same!
I'm sorry to annoy you again with the AUDIGY :D , but I'm still wondering why the h311 is a more expensive one so different compared to it? Two of my friends have it, and it does a really epic job! Why are the 50$-60$-70$ cards that much better?

Please, help me :D
Blín D'ñero
Site Admin

Post by Blín D'ñero »

I think the GUITAR LINK UCG102 is a splendid toy but the sound goes via usb to your pc where you can edit via the software (you pay extra for). What you need in additon in your PC is a professional quality soundcard with hardware-wise recording capability in seperate channels (the little Audigy does not have that), and that is the X-Fi "extended edition" like the Auzentech Prelude or the Creative X-Fi Elite pro.

Although on this page it says
... range of USB devices which have been specifically designed from the ground up to with your recording needs in mind. All of these eliminate the need to use your existing sound card for recording and provide a dedicated external solution with all the hardware and software you need to record your guitar.
... according to this page with the GUITAR LINK UCG102 you get some software that you can
... Sample them all, then activate the full version
(and the link takes you to this for €150,- that brings GUITAR LINK UCG102 + activated software to over $210), that still remains merely a software solution. Whereas the "extended" X-Fi cards have the physical hardware to process the sounds and various effects in seperate channels which means much better quality.
Main PC: Asus TUF Gaming 570-Pro (wi-fi) * AMD Ryzen 7 5800X * Noctua NH-D15 * Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB * Asus TUF Radeon 6800XT * Creative AE-9PE * 2 x Samsung 980 Pro * 7 x WD Gold HDD * Corsair HX 1000 * 1 x Asus DRW-24D5MT * Dell U3010 * Windows 10 x64 *

Office PC: Asus ROG Strix X570-E * AMD Ryzen 7 3800X * Noctua NH-D15 * Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB * MSI Radeon 5700XT * Creative Soundblaster ZxR * 2 x Corsair Force MP600 * 7 x WD Gold HDD * Corsair AX 1200W * 1 x Asus DRW-24D5MT * Dell P4317Q * Windows 10 x64 *

Old workhorse PC: * Intel i7 4790K * Noctua NH-D15S * Asus Maximus VII Hero * Corsair Force MP510 480GB M.2 SSD * 32 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum CMD32GX3M4A2133C9 * Sapphire Radeon R9 290 * 3 x Dell U2410 @ Eyefinity 5760 x 1200 * Corsair HX 1000i * 7 x WD Black / Gold HDDs * Creative Soundblaster ZxR * Asus DRW F1ST * Corsair K95 RGB * Corsair M65 PRO RGB * Steelseries 9HD * Coolermaster STC T01 * Edifier S530 * Sennheiser HD598 * Windows 10 x64 *
TakalQc

Post by TakalQc »

Ah.... yes, I just found out that the Guitar Combos software included with the GUITAR LINK UCG102 have to be bought in order to make them work for more than 30mins >.<
TakalQc

Post by TakalQc »

Sorry about double posting, I had to edit my last post because I fount out something that made my last post completely false >.<

So I think I'll forget buying any recording device or recording options, because in any way it goes over my budget.
I think I'll try to find a homemade way to record myself, or simply continue to play guitar alone :D

I'm sorry to give up now, but any solution we find includes paying more and more and more, and when there's a solution that seem amazing, there are some major hidden fees that comein the way >.< It kind of discourages me.

But I'm still looking for a little soundcard to replace my onboard card :D