Major FPS drops in single player.

Forum now read-only, closed for posting. For support please go to the Steam forums.
Blín D'ñero
Site Admin

Re: Major FPS drops in single player.

Post by Blín D'ñero »

GPU-Z can be a useful tool but sometimes incorrect as for instance it doesn't understand Catalyst driver's ULPS feature in HD5xxx crossfire setups.

The 'bios setting' is the "memory remap" feature but since his dxdiag shows 4 GB i supposed he has that enabled. But maybe he hasn't.
Or possibly PAE in Windows but i don't think he has been tinkering with that or would have mentioned it. And 64-bit versions of Windows do not support PAE.

That 'display memory' weirdness a dxdiag error? :inv:
Anyway, in Properties i have this:

Windows Updates, it crossed my mind seeing his
Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600) (7600.win7_gdr.100618-1621)
which doesn't seem up to date to me, maybe it's an illegal version, without the updates and fixes.
But he said he tried all the options in the troubleshooting guide, and he gives up. So why keep on speculating...
Main PC: Asus TUF Gaming 570-Pro (wi-fi) * AMD Ryzen 7 5800X * Noctua NH-D15 * Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB * Asus TUF Radeon 6800XT * Creative AE-9PE * 2 x Samsung 980 Pro * 7 x WD Gold HDD * Corsair HX 1000 * 1 x Asus DRW-24D5MT * Dell U3010 * Windows 10 x64 *

Office PC: Asus ROG Strix X570-E * AMD Ryzen 7 3800X * Noctua NH-D15 * Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB * MSI Radeon 5700XT * Creative Soundblaster ZxR * 2 x Corsair Force MP600 * 7 x WD Gold HDD * Corsair AX 1200W * 1 x Asus DRW-24D5MT * Dell P4317Q * Windows 10 x64 *

Old workhorse PC: * Intel i7 4790K * Noctua NH-D15S * Asus Maximus VII Hero * Corsair Force MP510 480GB M.2 SSD * 32 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum CMD32GX3M4A2133C9 * Sapphire Radeon R9 290 * 3 x Dell U2410 @ Eyefinity 5760 x 1200 * Corsair HX 1000i * 7 x WD Black / Gold HDDs * Creative Soundblaster ZxR * Asus DRW F1ST * Corsair K95 RGB * Corsair M65 PRO RGB * Steelseries 9HD * Coolermaster STC T01 * Edifier S530 * Sennheiser HD598 * Windows 10 x64 *
Delfofthebla

Post by Delfofthebla »

Blín D'ñero wrote:
Delfofthebla wrote:Dark Messiah was an amazing game, but was unfortunately coded like crap.
Are you a programmer? Have you read the game's entire code and determined that it's caused your problem? I don't think so.
And why doesn't everybody have the same issue?
The game running in slowmo on your machine is a clear indication that something's not right on your system, but you give up trying to solve it before you even started; to you it's even too complicated to find the actual bios version (it's in post screen, not in Windows Registry...). I hope for you no other game will be triggering the same issue.
I read online that you could get the bios version from the registry, so I posted that. I know where the god damn bios version is, I was just too lazy to write it down every time I restarted my PC, so I never got around to it. It was a hassle and I wasn't convinced that getting that information would help anything. As for the programmer comment, no I'm not, and no, I obviously cannot see their code. I'm surprised you're even defending it seeing as how you've created a forum to specifically address the many issues players have with the game.
BlindNero wrote:GPU-Z can be a useful tool but sometimes incorrect as for instance it doesn't understand Catalyst driver's ULPS feature in HD5xxx crossfire setups.

The 'bios setting' is the "memory remap" feature but since his dxdiag shows 4 GB i supposed he has that enabled. But maybe he hasn't.
Or possibly PAE in Windows but i don't think he has been tinkering with that or would have mentioned it. And 64-bit versions of Windows do not support PAE.

That 'display memory' weirdness a dxdiag error? :inv:
Anyway, in Properties i have this:

Windows Updates, it crossed my mind seeing his
Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600) (7600.win7_gdr.100618-1621)
which doesn't seem up to date to me, maybe it's an illegal version, without the updates and fixes.
But he said he tried all the options in the troubleshooting guide, and he gives up. So why keep on speculating...
Everyone I know that uses windows vista or 7 has the same issue with the video card memory display in dxdiag. I'm not too sure about it myself, as I only have 896MB of video memory on my card. I have all of the latest windows updates.

The fact that I have tried everything in the troubleshooting guide is precisely why I don't think it can be fixed. Even after going through the steps you gave me, nothing had changed. These problems ONLY happen with Dark Messiah. I have games ranging from 10 years old to released last month, and NOTHING has a single problem with it. Dark Messiah is the only game that has ever given me issues.
Blín D'ñero
Site Admin

Post by Blín D'ñero »

Wow you're funny.
While you yourself stated the game is problem free:
Delfofthebla wrote: When I used XP 32 bit I had no problem what so ever. I've played this game since it was released. When I built this new PC, I was still able to play with no problems. After a while I decided to upgrade to 64 bit windows 7, and am now unable to play the game. I've been told that other people run on win7 no problem but it's the only thing that's ever really changed.
but when you fail on Windows 7 x64 you start blaming the game. Why don't you blame Microsoft that they can't code a 64-bit OS?
But the fact that noone else -including me- running 64-bit Windows 7 (or Vista) is having your issue -or the solutions in the troubleshooting guide fix it- makes it more likely your computer skills are to blame.
An outdated bios, or lack of critical Windows updates, or hardware compatibility could be the cause, but honestly i'm done with this thread. Other than again directing to the wealth of the troubleshooting guide, i give up.
:wave:
Main PC: Asus TUF Gaming 570-Pro (wi-fi) * AMD Ryzen 7 5800X * Noctua NH-D15 * Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB * Asus TUF Radeon 6800XT * Creative AE-9PE * 2 x Samsung 980 Pro * 7 x WD Gold HDD * Corsair HX 1000 * 1 x Asus DRW-24D5MT * Dell U3010 * Windows 10 x64 *

Office PC: Asus ROG Strix X570-E * AMD Ryzen 7 3800X * Noctua NH-D15 * Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB * MSI Radeon 5700XT * Creative Soundblaster ZxR * 2 x Corsair Force MP600 * 7 x WD Gold HDD * Corsair AX 1200W * 1 x Asus DRW-24D5MT * Dell P4317Q * Windows 10 x64 *

Old workhorse PC: * Intel i7 4790K * Noctua NH-D15S * Asus Maximus VII Hero * Corsair Force MP510 480GB M.2 SSD * 32 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum CMD32GX3M4A2133C9 * Sapphire Radeon R9 290 * 3 x Dell U2410 @ Eyefinity 5760 x 1200 * Corsair HX 1000i * 7 x WD Black / Gold HDDs * Creative Soundblaster ZxR * Asus DRW F1ST * Corsair K95 RGB * Corsair M65 PRO RGB * Steelseries 9HD * Coolermaster STC T01 * Edifier S530 * Sennheiser HD598 * Windows 10 x64 *
Delfofthebla

Post by Delfofthebla »

Just going to throw this out there for anyone else who has this problem.

I've reformatted my PC I think two times since my last post, and the first thing I do after windows updates/driver installations is install a FRESH copy of steam and a FRESH copy of dark messiah. The problem persisted through several installs of windows. Well on my last reformat, I decided to "acquire" a non-steam version of the game, and trying my luck with that instead. As luck would have it, the game worked perfectly. No FPS issues at all. Even though I made sure my steam was not corrupt, and got the latest version directly from their website, it was STILL causing issues. So if anyone else has FPS problems, try the retail version instead.
Blín D'ñero
Site Admin

Post by Blín D'ñero »

Well at least you got the game working as it should so you can enjoy it, that's the most important! As for the problem, which you think is related to Steam: it's intrigueing. Technically both versions of the game should be the exact same data. The difference is the Steam platform. I must say it doesn't happen to me whenever i play the Steam version, so i would assume it's something else on your PC. But anyway,
you can now see for yourself it's not the game (-creators) to blame.

Enjoy! And thanks for posting back. :thup: