Is there a fix for the "Broken Shields" problem?

Forum now read-only, closed for posting. For support please go to the Steam forums.
VelikiDrMr

Is there a fix for the "Broken Shields" problem?

Post by VelikiDrMr »

Hey there. I recently got the game, and I'm enjoying it a lot. But I am experiencing the bug where broken shields get stuck in your inventory for good. I'm wondering if there is a way to fix this in the current savegame?
After looking at the troubleshooting guide, I thought about extracting the save files, reinstalling the game and patches with the "unblock" option, and changing my virtual ram to 4GB, and then putting the files back in. Would this work, or are the save files "corrupted"?

Also, kinda off-topic, I'm in the spider temple, I activated the Crystal room and am trying to defeat the two ghouls that attack while Leanna is opening the massive door, but I've found them to be extremely tough (Even though I'm playing on normal.). Is there some good tactics to defeating them easily?
Blín D'ñero
Site Admin

Re: Is there a fix for the "Broken Shields" problem?

Post by Blín D'ñero »

The fix to that would be to
  1. not trying to play the game on an average office (non-gaming-) laptop or otherwise underspec PC. But i have no clue yet about what PC you are running the game on as you didn't post the relevant info. Posting your DXDIAG, using the Scroll button and
  2. making sure both patches 1.01 and 1.02 are installed.
VelikiDrMr wrote: After looking at the troubleshooting guide, I thought about extracting the save files, reinstalling the game and patches with the "unblock" option, and changing my virtual ram to 4GB, and then putting the files back in. Would this work, or are the save files "corrupted"?
Yes try that first.
No it would not corrupt the save files. but It IS possible that only the autosaves still work when moving the unpatched saves to a patched game. It's just a matter of wait and see. To function correctly as possible the game needs those 2 patches anyway.
Main PC: Asus TUF Gaming 570-Pro (wi-fi) * AMD Ryzen 7 5800X * Noctua NH-D15 * Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB * Asus TUF Radeon 6800XT * Creative AE-9PE * 2 x Samsung 980 Pro * 7 x WD Gold HDD * Corsair HX 1000 * 1 x Asus DRW-24D5MT * Dell U3010 * Windows 10 x64 *

Office PC: Asus ROG Strix X570-E * AMD Ryzen 7 3800X * Noctua NH-D15 * Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB * MSI Radeon 5700XT * Creative Soundblaster ZxR * 2 x Corsair Force MP600 * 7 x WD Gold HDD * Corsair AX 1200W * 1 x Asus DRW-24D5MT * Dell P4317Q * Windows 10 x64 *

Old workhorse PC: * Intel i7 4790K * Noctua NH-D15S * Asus Maximus VII Hero * Corsair Force MP510 480GB M.2 SSD * 32 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum CMD32GX3M4A2133C9 * Sapphire Radeon R9 290 * 3 x Dell U2410 @ Eyefinity 5760 x 1200 * Corsair HX 1000i * 7 x WD Black / Gold HDDs * Creative Soundblaster ZxR * Asus DRW F1ST * Corsair K95 RGB * Corsair M65 PRO RGB * Steelseries 9HD * Coolermaster STC T01 * Edifier S530 * Sennheiser HD598 * Windows 10 x64 *
Blín D'ñero
Site Admin

Re: Is there a fix for the "Broken Shields" problem?

Post by Blín D'ñero »

Yes certainly you need a special tactic against those ghouls. This is one of the most hectic little challenges of the game.
I always in advance make sure there are enough of those wooden casks neatly in a row, ready to pick up before they come! :D Then try to hit the first ghoul before he hits ground, so while still wallclimbing towards where you stand. Be very quick launching a cask, because the second one will follow right after the first, often (but not always) via the other wall. If you doubt a second and just stand there watching instead of acting as swift as you can, they'll attack you both at the same time! :vlol: and then you're dead very quickly. :roll:
I usually weaken them with a blow from a heavy cask, the first ghoul then the second ghoul, then before the first one can wake up kill him with a quick weapon like daggers or small sword (if losing too much time, crushing with another cask is needed), immediately followed by killing the second one before he wakes up.

Anyway, the clue is: study their path towards you when they first appear, and then weaken them using the casks before they can even start to attack you, and while they're on the ground finish them off before they can stand up.
Main PC: Asus TUF Gaming 570-Pro (wi-fi) * AMD Ryzen 7 5800X * Noctua NH-D15 * Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB * Asus TUF Radeon 6800XT * Creative AE-9PE * 2 x Samsung 980 Pro * 7 x WD Gold HDD * Corsair HX 1000 * 1 x Asus DRW-24D5MT * Dell U3010 * Windows 10 x64 *

Office PC: Asus ROG Strix X570-E * AMD Ryzen 7 3800X * Noctua NH-D15 * Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB * MSI Radeon 5700XT * Creative Soundblaster ZxR * 2 x Corsair Force MP600 * 7 x WD Gold HDD * Corsair AX 1200W * 1 x Asus DRW-24D5MT * Dell P4317Q * Windows 10 x64 *

Old workhorse PC: * Intel i7 4790K * Noctua NH-D15S * Asus Maximus VII Hero * Corsair Force MP510 480GB M.2 SSD * 32 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum CMD32GX3M4A2133C9 * Sapphire Radeon R9 290 * 3 x Dell U2410 @ Eyefinity 5760 x 1200 * Corsair HX 1000i * 7 x WD Black / Gold HDDs * Creative Soundblaster ZxR * Asus DRW F1ST * Corsair K95 RGB * Corsair M65 PRO RGB * Steelseries 9HD * Coolermaster STC T01 * Edifier S530 * Sennheiser HD598 * Windows 10 x64 *