My 3D-games list

News, discussion, get assistance for technical problems with PC games not listed above, or share your insights.
Blín D'ñero
Site Admin

My 3D-games list

Post by Blín D'ñero »

After i finished all episodes of Tomb Raider 1 ~ 5 i started trying other games. Vacantie Racer, Carmageddon TDR2000, Half-Life / Blue Shift, Quake 3 Arena, Soldier of Fortune Double Helix, Return to Castle Wolfenstein...
I never intended to become a collector though and still don't. It's just i only want to know from first hand which i like and not like.
Here is my very subjective and poorly written list. My english is too limited, and maybe i also lack the skills for reviewing anyway. I know i lack the patience.
My limited english vocabulary blocked me from playing Morrowind. At the time i had no idea what a RPG is, i just expected to enjoy a beautiful game. Never came far; too much text. :(

Again, i come from Tomb Raider. That attracted me into gaming. A game must be adventurous, i want to explore unseen worlds, solve puzzles to unlock next levels, and action when needed, or big fun and competition in car racing like Need for Speed series. Prefer games in first person perspective. Tomb Raider is third person but because of the controllable camera view that always stays behind her (not all around), and you can fix it on her back, it plays as intuitively as first person. I always played it with auto-aim.

Here's my list of all 3D-games i own.

Most of them i have bought after a considerable pricedrop, many even from the salesbin.

Usually in level 1 i can see if i like a game enough to play on or not.
Main PC: Asus TUF Gaming 570-Pro (wi-fi) * AMD Ryzen 7 5800X * Noctua NH-D15 * Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB * Asus TUF Radeon 6800XT * Creative AE-9PE * 2 x Samsung 980 Pro * 7 x WD Gold HDD * Corsair HX 1000 * 1 x Asus DRW-24D5MT * Dell U3010 * Windows 10 x64 *

Office PC: Asus ROG Strix X570-E * AMD Ryzen 7 3800X * Noctua NH-D15 * Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB * MSI Radeon 5700XT * Creative Soundblaster ZxR * 2 x Corsair Force MP600 * 7 x WD Gold HDD * Corsair AX 1200W * 1 x Asus DRW-24D5MT * Dell P4317Q * Windows 10 x64 *

Old workhorse PC: * Intel i7 4790K * Noctua NH-D15S * Asus Maximus VII Hero * Corsair Force MP510 480GB M.2 SSD * 32 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum CMD32GX3M4A2133C9 * Sapphire Radeon R9 290 * 3 x Dell U2410 @ Eyefinity 5760 x 1200 * Corsair HX 1000i * 7 x WD Black / Gold HDDs * Creative Soundblaster ZxR * Asus DRW F1ST * Corsair K95 RGB * Corsair M65 PRO RGB * Steelseries 9HD * Coolermaster STC T01 * Edifier S530 * Sennheiser HD598 * Windows 10 x64 *
Blín D'ñero
Site Admin

Re: My 3D-games list

Post by Blín D'ñero »

[edit] Not anymore Updating this list every time i buy a new game.
I am NOT "Reviewing", only mentioning, describing, some remarks etcetera. Not reviewing.
  • I ONLY play SINGLEPLAYER.
  • No gamepad, i play KEYBOARD & MOUSE
  • I'll try to give them my personal rating too...
UPDATE DEC 2011: I have decided to do a cleanup and give/throw away games i don't care about. So whatever is in this list doesn't mean i still have it.
Main PC: Asus TUF Gaming 570-Pro (wi-fi) * AMD Ryzen 7 5800X * Noctua NH-D15 * Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB * Asus TUF Radeon 6800XT * Creative AE-9PE * 2 x Samsung 980 Pro * 7 x WD Gold HDD * Corsair HX 1000 * 1 x Asus DRW-24D5MT * Dell U3010 * Windows 10 x64 *

Office PC: Asus ROG Strix X570-E * AMD Ryzen 7 3800X * Noctua NH-D15 * Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB * MSI Radeon 5700XT * Creative Soundblaster ZxR * 2 x Corsair Force MP600 * 7 x WD Gold HDD * Corsair AX 1200W * 1 x Asus DRW-24D5MT * Dell P4317Q * Windows 10 x64 *

Old workhorse PC: * Intel i7 4790K * Noctua NH-D15S * Asus Maximus VII Hero * Corsair Force MP510 480GB M.2 SSD * 32 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum CMD32GX3M4A2133C9 * Sapphire Radeon R9 290 * 3 x Dell U2410 @ Eyefinity 5760 x 1200 * Corsair HX 1000i * 7 x WD Black / Gold HDDs * Creative Soundblaster ZxR * Asus DRW F1ST * Corsair K95 RGB * Corsair M65 PRO RGB * Steelseries 9HD * Coolermaster STC T01 * Edifier S530 * Sennheiser HD598 * Windows 10 x64 *
Blín D'ñero
Site Admin

Post by Blín D'ñero »

A
A2 Racer - Europa Tour.
6 / 10
Same as Vacantie Racer. Good for kids. I only played 1 level.
Advent Rising
7 / 10
It's in an arty comicbook style, and has kickass combat mechanics. Lots of fun.
Dramatic aspect is a little silly, aliens look like carnival, main (human) characters look like 70's disco.
Alan Wake
"a true cinematic experience" oh horror! I do not WANT a cinematic experience, i want a GAME.
Also, paranormal doesn't work for me; i think that's just shit.
I see a very mediocre game, with -once Alice comes to the party very poor -or rather absent- lipsync like games 4 year ago would show. The thirdperson view does not help getting any immersion, maybe it's just me. But foremost it is all WAY too "cinematic". 90% of the time you're just watching... :-|-:
Alice - Madness Returns.
5 / 10
Só much better than the first one, American McGee''s Alice. Mainly for the graphical part. Now it's quite enjoyable. However, still: i don't like that much the presentation between chapters of being in a graphic designer's oldfashioned museum. However some of the voice acting is excellent welldone, I don't like other characters reading their texts from the original book rather than being natural living characters. I hate sloppy details like the violin player playing one fiddle while in one breath saying to Alice "you like Vivaldi? Or you like Paganini?" instead he should play two fiddles belonging to each composer; the way it's done now, makes characters in the streets like the children and this violin player merely toy objects programmed to make certain noises, not human beings that communicate. [I hate that you can't jump whenever you want.. it's mentioned in the controls so it must be used at one point (occasionally i guess), but apparently it's not in the normal gameplay. UPDATE: Ah.. that's only in the brown intro part! The moment Alice falls and reaches fairyland she can jump! :thup: ] I hate that you can't look down over the edge onto the street below. I hate that however "interesting items to look at" are marked with a magnifying glass and "C" to press, it does NOT magnify the object at all, merely presents some textual comment. I hate that the glass with the "C" looking at a photograph on the wall still appears when Alice turns 90 degrees looking at a collection of children's drawings but still the comment that is triggered is about the photograph of her family she looked at in the previous position. I hate the maniacal grin of that cat, already in Alice 1 i hated how that creature looked and sounded... some parts in this game i would do so entirely differently! Matter of taste probably. And what are those, when you hack the snail's shell open with the sword, human teeth? How disgusting!
I very much dislike the sword-slinging animation: staccato with slowdowns painting blue circles in the air, the typical Japanese animation style, it's too childish. I hate all those invisible blockades because you're not allowed to go there (with shrink you could easily pass under that trunk), or the very limited game-design doesn't expect you to (the platform Alice is standing on continues at least 10 meters but apparently that would make things too easy so she is not allowed there)...
I admit... i can't stand the game.

Aliens versus Predator 1.
7 / 10
Great! Never finished it though, maybe will if i find the time. played till about level 5 (?).
Aliens versus Predator 2.
7.5 / 10
Happiness when i recently found this in a salesbin!
AvP (Aliens versus Predator 2010)
6 / 10
What, no crouch? Why? Is weird! :eh: Played a chunk, sofar i'm not very enthusiastic, can't pinpoint exactly why, yet.
Aliens Colonial Marines
4 / 10
Oh what an abysmal product.
Overview of what others had to say (forbes.com)
Alone in the Dark (2008).
1 / 10
From the salesbin within the salesbin: €1,- i paid. They really wanted to get rid of it.
I understand. It is a horrible excrement.
Sidenote: The game appears to be not compatible with Windows 7. It only runs at its default low (800 x 600?) resolution. Trying to change resolution, by going to Options > Display the game instantly crashes.
The crappy controls make it very keyboard/mouse -unfriendly. I just played a bit in the first level and refuse to waste any more second on it.
Alone in the Dark - The New Nightmare.
1 / 10
Some crap from 1999 or so (?) (i have to recheck the box). played less than 1 level.
American McGee's Alice.
5 / 10
Fine, but not my type of game. I guess very good game if you like the type. Personally i don't like the hysterical attitude/atmosphere/characters/story/gameplay. played 3 levels.
See also: Alice - Madness Returns
Apocalyptica.
1 / 10
Bizarre mix of devlish sexy / evangelistic third person monster shooter. Don't like it either. played no more than 3 levels.
Area-51.
8 / 10
Old classic FPS, very well made, action-paced and fun. Occasionally bad checkpoint system (wrongly placed; save anywhere would have been better).
Assassin's Creed.
8.5 / 10
Jesus Christ! What a beautifull well made interesting and exciting game. Except that the flags collections are useless... it doesn't reward you with more replay value. Never finished, but played 4 times entirely anew (enjoying it) untill killing Robert and then quit.
Assassin's Creed 2

6 Feb 2012. Just bought it for €6.99. The price would not sink any lower. So i thought why not. While i'm in the process of installing, i am curious if that dreadful ubisoft DRM has changed anyhow past years. We'll see...
Installation seems problematic:
[insert picture]
But in the end, after i entered the serial on the prompt, it all works. Connection was lost, but indeed there it is: "OFFLINE MODE"! :thup:
The game: ugly lab intro with Desmond and the girl in a world where lipsync does not exist. The Italian small piece of cinematic -the birth- is very good however!
It lies when it says to "press any button" because it really is only Enter that works. Back to Desmond the boy who effortlessly knocks out a set of 2, then of 6, and then another 8 trained guards on his own with only a little sideways help by the girl. Ok, part of the game i guess...
What a horrible start of a game! Like the second Prince of Persia started with a fight with some hidden rules, this one starts with a "race", a competition with some other guy running over the rooftops. Even when i'm next to the guy (thinking i'm doing well) i keep getting "Desynchronized. Race lost" before i even realise where i am or what i'm supposed to do. :mad: Took some time, but Ok, i won. And now. On top of that tower, to visit the beautiful girl, not a single keystroke works. I have to "Interact" to get from the rooftop, but NOTHING works. What a total shit. Exit to Windows, and restart game. This time, yes, Forward (W) Jump (Space) and right-click mouse works. :xmad: Horrible game start.
But once that out of the way, i slowly came into Assassins Creed as i knew it from episode 1. The incredible tower climbing and breathtaking view. Hopefully this game plays as intuitive as AC1.
Oh it says to "Loot the dead bodies of your victims" but in the handfights sofar no-one was killed so i looted on the living, they keep rolling on the floor moaning and groaning, 15 minutes later still, as long as i stay watching. I mean why don't they stand up after a while.
One thing is for sure: the game is a stunning beauty.
Assassin's Creed Revelations
This one i am playing without much pleasure. The intro -one of the worst i have ever seen in a game- is too long and ugly, with kids picked from a MTV reality show. The intro-protagonist guy is a whimp with a misplaced expression of surprise and awe despite the fact that he already has 3 adventures behind him. And oh yuck his armskin is ruined by a tattoo completely in line with the trend amongst today's trash people. :fp: The ingame protagonist is a bearded ugly old man, not exactly a pleasure to look at. The models are way too often the same clone. Ezio kills all those highly trained soldiers with way too much ease.
One of the key elements of previous episodes was the beautiful ancient cities and landscapes. The style is now almost ruined by a too sharp "detailed" look at the cost of atmosphere which is totally lost. The "realism" it pretends to have does not enhance gameplay. In the contrary rather. :-|-:
As far as i can see now, this is the weakest of the series and i will never finish it. I'll rather keep replaying Crysis 2 endlessly.

Blín D'ñero
Site Admin

Post by Blín D'ñero »

B

Battlefield 3
6 / 10
As a singleplayer game, a 5 / 10. As artistic product it's very good, so 8 / 10, though it's buggy with designflaws.
Exceptionally well created military operations realism. Very immersive game. Campaign plays like a demo for the multiplayer game. No replay value. Or in fact you die so often, you're replaying it all the time during the first playthrough.
Thread.
Beowulf.
1 / 10
Rated 18+ but it's childish! You have to kill giant crabs, see red pixeldots splattering off, then the bodies exploding into disappearing pixelcrumbs, and a hard-edged shadow of the crab's body sinking into the ground. With a bunch of 12 giant crabs you are killing, exactly the same happens 12 times. Limited controls, third person view. Hard to control your character while trying to kill a huge (10000 times Beowulfie's size) sea-monster with his minuscule sword. That's enough, on the crap pile it goes.
Bet On Soldier.
? / 10
Potentially a good game (i remember from when i played a part on XP), but unfortunately very buggy. In second level i decided it was so unplayable it wasn't a fair challenge anymore. Later i found the patches. Never bothered anymore though, somehow the game didn't appeal enough to me.
And now the StarForce crap (it has v.2) doesn't work on my Windows 7 x64 and i even don't want to bother.
Beyond Good and Evil.
7 / 10
Very good game for the kids: FPS gameplay (3dperson view) but the 'weapon' is a camera. Brilliant! Can't really enjoy it by myself, it's a children's thing.
Bioshock
9 / 10
Initially i didn't have interest for this game, from the demo i didn't like it (too chaotic and ugly) plus it was too heavily drm infested. So i just waited till the hype was over and it got cheap. €18,- in December 2008. I lacked the time but April 2009 i finally got to play it. And wow it is a maginificent game! One of the very best of the best ever made. :thup: Thread.
Bioshock 2
7 / 10
Very good product and awesome gameplay. But i've had it with Bioshock: way too many splicers, much too psychotic hysterical and crazy.

Bioshock Infinite
I have deinstalled it after playing an hour or three, four. I can't stand it.

Black Mesa
(Half-Life mod)
8 / 10
Very good mod, it's like playing the original game again thinking this gold game looks pretty good for it's age!" :D .
It remains one of the best ever made, but i don't remember the jump used to be this awful?! Spent half an hour finding out how to jump onto crates. Turns out you need to crouch in mid-air! :nuts: Was it like that? :???:
Thread.
Black & White + Creature Isle.
* / 10
I do not like RTS games, i don't know what to do with them and find this one extremely ugly.
Blade of Darkness - Severance.
7 / 10
Good but very old classic.
BloodRayne.
6.5 / 10
Very easy and smooth game. Butcher hordes of nazis. Well made.
BloodRayne 2.
1 / 10
Awfull (mouse-) camera control, because of that it's hardly playable. Not a loss really as this pointless game is a steaming pile of dung. Total waste of time.
Boilingpoint - Road to Hell.
5 / 10
Never really got into it, too much text. Nevertheless, good game (i think).
Brothers in Arms.
4 / 10
This is military strategy, it doesn't interest me. You must order your team, i lack the basic understanding -and motivation- for that.
Bulletstorm
4 / 10
[Space] to climb over... but climbing back is not possible, not allowed. It's the same height! The same object! No, it's one way only. :thdown: Running is also [Space], so you will keep running stationary against the barrier you're not allowed to vault over again.
No jump...
I don't like how the characters look, too much steroids, like Gears of War, it's a foulmouthed 'shit motherfucker cocksucker' communication, and i don't like the controls; "R" stops being for 'reload' when you need to use or pick up something. Really, an ugly pile of shit.
Burnout Paradise Ultimate Box
7.5 / 10
Just bought it from the salesbin for €6.99, and getting to know it. Sofar i like this free-roaming cityracing game! :thup:

Blín D'ñero
Site Admin

Post by Blín D'ñero »

C

Call Of Duty + United Offensive.
7½ / 10
Well made immersive experience.
Call of Duty 2.
7½ / 10
Better than the first, but basically the same. I haven't finished it yet.
Call of Duty 4 Modern Warfare.
7½ / 10
Top notch well made product! Very linear traditional. Graphics- and soundwise it's awesome and even better than the previous but again basically the same. Realistic atmosphere, immersing you with highest intensity. Overall design of the game is superb.
But i've had it with COD warfare, being merely a goddamned soldier executing orders.
Replayability: none whatsoever.
Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2.
7½ / 10
Awesome!
Call of Duty Modern Warfare 3.
7½ / 10
A slightly better and more adventurous singleplayer product than Battlefield 3, but both are very alike also in their modern day war fiction. Paris is pretty, but there's no time for sightseeiing, you're a soldier and do what you're told. Mostly shooting. Very spectacular with traincrashes, helicoptercrashes, airplanecrashes, tanks falling through concrete parking floors etcetera all very well done. Still looking good and including spectacular crashes explosions and natural elements like a sandstorm doesn't make it a good singleplayer game. You always must "Follow" another guy (Soap, Price, Sandman...) who goes in front, if you step off the path you will soon die or cause him to die, mission failed. All by all it's rather a spectacular military sim, not much of a game.
Btw, i wonder: why is it in games presented as normal these days to have those goddam'd filthy tattoos?! Oh i forgot: that's how a true fighter looks. And when they finally hang the enemy they light a cigar. Yeah. Spit.
Call of Duty Ghosts.
6½ / 10
Spectacular modern war tech action in highly detailed environments. This is truly the combined work of an enormous army of artists and cost a lot! There's no time to enjoy that though because just like in the previous games there's only one way through the game and that is fast or you'll die. The realism is so technically "advanced" that you actually see the actors act as if they beat up each other's head. I mean you clearly see they don't really get hit. It's cinema!
Spectacular, but as gameplay just a simple shooter at best. Actually not even a good one. In comparison, Crysis (1, 2, 3) now that's a good game with high replayability. COD:Ghosts doesn't have that at all.
Call of Duty 5 World at War.
7½ / 10
Very linear traditional. Graphics- and soundwise it's awesome and even better than the previous but again basically the same. I just had to buy it each time but i've really had enough of this series.
And no replayability.
Still, i'll probably buy a next game without hesitation because i know it'll be good.
Call of Juarez.
8 / 10
Very good. With mixed feelings. Very good landscape, atmosphere, AI, story. Once used to the gameplay, big fun. But also with horrible graphics elements (in DX9.0c): the rocks look like psychedelic glass, and the water in the river is the weirdest i have ever seen in a game. In DX10 a little better but still it looks like the designers never saw water flowing through a river. As a game very good parts (mainly), mixed with very bad. And it's suffering bugs (falling through walls, broken graphics, disappearing objects you just picked up or supposed to pick up etc.). First level tedious, but from second (or third) really sets off. Despite here and there clumsy parts, overall a very adventurous game.
Call of Juarez Bound in Blood.
6 / 10
Not as good as the first one. Scenery is awesome, sound is very very good. Voiceacting is too exaggerated western cliché, but still good. Dramatic, realistic scenes are "canned": do this, do that, of course you succeed (enough hints to make you) and then it's over. I haven't finished it yet though, for a final judgement.
Btw this time the water is superb!
Call of Juarez Gunslinger.
4 / 10
Oh those stupid cowboys, those idiots. But the shooting is remarkably smooth, quick, responsive, flexible, so it seems this is gonna be a fun game anyway.
But no they ruined it.
Like in Grid 2 where you get drifting shoved down your throat, in COJG it's a return to the stupid focus mechanism. But they still haven't figured out how to make that playable on the keyboard and mouse.
So you must keep the opponent "in focus". In nature, you do that with your eyes, in this game you're supposed to do that by moving the mouse (not the buttons, just the mouse), and for some reason keeping the guy in the circle -although he is standing still- is hard. :nuts: That circle keeps moving away, out of your control.
So this is where the game starts failing, again.
The tutorial text explains that you must use the left mouse button to shoot.
But every time the opponent kills me before i can shoot. Turns out that if you draw your gun a millisecond later than the opponent does, you draw no gun at all. You get killed emptyhanded. What a disaster.
If you hit him in the belly, that means he is not hurt at all and then will kill you. You MUST: hit him in the heart. Oh boy, how do they manage to take away the fun.
This game seems to have been made for 8-year olds. Maybe the form of storytelling with heavy western accent and illustrated with cartoons is meant as a parody?
Not one second is there a sense of adventure nor a character you could identify with because you and the story teller seem to be the same person. But then he fools you.
Every single npc is just another idiot that starts shooting at you right away, you kill them in groups, and it all ends with one "boss"-like figure you get into a circus-act duel with.

So the goal is to "find the entrance to the mine". Untuitively i don't follow the obvious path, but ascend over the rocks on the left. And i was right: there is a cowboy guarding ontop. I engaged him close by, expecting i could melée attack him from behind. But he heard me coming so i was too late, i lost too much health and then chose to reload checkpoint. And what does this game do? It puts me at a point where i never was (but was supposed to be): downwards on the path! I was never there, but in this game, "reload checkpoint" means you are put on a spot where you never were. :nuts:
So i climb the rock again, and kill the baddie from a distance. Then descend the hidden ladder. And then -the cowboys down the terrain have not seen me taking the ladder down, so they cannot even know where i am, and surely can NOT see me crawling out of sight through that corridor with bushes in front, still they manage to shoot me three times from far through the bushes so i almost die! They trace me even though they cannot possibly see me! :thdown: (i notice in the Inventory that is one of the abilities i can win to earn, so that's why it's possibile that the enemies already have those supernatural abilities). :nag:

To enter the mine the storyteller presents you an option. You follow that, because there's no other way! And then the game makes you die in the end, in the silliest manner followed by the storyteller saying "good i didn't follow that rediculous plan in the first place!" :nuts: What a waste of time and effort, what nonsense, what rubbish!!!
The environments are very nicely made, the sound is very good. Which is all a complete waste of hard work for a rubbish game. This is a fiasco.
Carmageddon.
* / 10
I never actually played it, and this game is visually so primitive i can't try and judge it.
Carmageddon 2.
? / 10
Not any better from what i remember, i'd have to retry it someday.
Carmageddon TDR2000.
8.5 / 10
The first dinky-toy car racing game i played was Vacantie Racer. A bit boring though. Carmageddon TDR2000 is the first game besides Tomb Raider i got addicted to very quickly. Amazingly funny. The car physics, the over the top rudeness in an innocent, cheerful way. :mhihi: Uncomparable to any other game.
Chaser.
7 / 10
Great FPS.
Chronicles Of Riddick Escape from Butchers Bay.
9 / 10
One of my favourites.
Chronicles Of Riddick Dark Athena.
8 / 10
Also one of my favourites, because of the sinister, dark phantasy atmosphere. It suffers from the "almost hitting" bug: you're really aiming bullseye at an enemy (their head or their body) in the distance but all your bullets bounce off some invisible blockade by nearby environmental objects, until you clear the path much wider, often exposing yourself too much. So it's a bit wonky clunky, including the rediculous AI. It adds an extra challenge there, stealth works best to defeat the enemies. Theyr're very predictable. There's still enough to enjoy if you take the time. Played it 6 ~ 7 times in a row. My thread as sort of review
On Windows 7 x64, it may require an updated Tages security driver: https://www.tagesprotection.com/main.ht ... inimum.htm. The game just refuses to start without it, with only the cryptic error message that 'you must run with admin privileges' although you already ARE... Install the Tages file and then you're good to go.
Clive Barker's Jericho.
6 / 10
From the salesbin. Only played a few levels yet. I like linear games, but here it follows a narrow curvy path and you cannot jump (so as to take any alternative route), obviously deliberately done so as to make efficient use of the relatively small maps (just like in Gears of War) and i hate that being dumbed down in my freedom of moving. Jericho at least gives me first person view. The quite boring monsters (all clones) are extremely stupid, running towards you roaring and dying identically. Graphically it's weird that i can walk upon and over invisible ground covering the torch holding scarecrows. I don't get the point of this game yet, it's not captivating, yet.
Clive Barker's Undying.
7 / 10
Good game.
Cold Fear.
7.5 / 10
One of my absolute favourites. Great atmosphere, thrilling.
Colin McRae Rally 2005.
6 / 10
Well made. I find ralley boring though.
Colin McRae's Dirt.
5 / 10
For free with a videocard. I don't really like serious/realistic ralley. Admit this game is well made though.
Colin Mc Rae's Dirt 2
6 /10
I don't like it. Decent races / events. But rotten menu user interface (and horrible voices, luckily you can shut them off).
Command and Conquer: Renegade.
7 / 10
Very good classic FPS, had lots of fun with it.
Conflict Desert Storm.
1 / 10
Buggy. Cripple.
Constantine.
3 / 10
Hmm, no. Wrong lead character, silly enemies, limited controls, rediculous story and content. It is not completely crap, but i don't like anything about it. Some bug halfway the game made me quit entirely, without regret and i'll never take it up again.
Contract J.A.C.K..
7.5 / 10
Exactly No One Lives Forever (the same makers), and i like it. Great game!
Counter Strike: Source.
8 / 10
Not much into multiplayer, so i don't really have much experience with this game. But what i played on the local test server was very exciting and very well done and instant action! A more modern version of Condition Zero, which i find awesome.
Counter Strike: Condition Zero + Deleteted Scenes.
8.5 / 10
KING of team games. Absolutely superb in every respect. I only play against the bots (and they are very good).
Crazy Taxi.
2 / 10
Meh. Bad car physics, clumsy controls and ugly. Maybe good for kids but not for me
Cryostasis.
8 / 10
Highly original. Looking good and very well done atmosphere on a captivating storyline. Great sounds and voiceacting. Action and combat feel clumsy though.
I'm playing on ATI so hardware physx disabled. After a short peak how it looks, but physx on the cpu is just too big a performance hit.
I'm only halfway the game now. Maybe i'll reward it an 8. But so far i feel more could have been made from it; so far i see it leaning too heavily on the same horror effect over and over again of a roaring mutant jumping out of the dark running towards you.
I have never seen such bad sniperrifle-telescope: it keeps at a 20 cm distance from your eye :clown: , it moves up and down as if the gun is breathing instead of yourself :clown: , if you lock it f.i to a an approaching enemy before you look through the scope you end up looking 2 meters beyond him :clown: . And: a handfull of bullets into your chest don't do much more damage than slowing you down (and you recover completely by warming your hands), but missing a step on a ladder making you fall 2 meters instantly ends your life. :clown:
But the way the adventure unfolds is immersing, in this dark cold atmosphere, the psychological subtleties, and a parallel allegory -told via scratches of paper you find on your path. It's hard to stop playing.
Crysis.
9 / 10
Amazingly beautiful, superb FPS.
---
To install Crysis onto your Games drive: just select or fill in the drive letter, Installation process will create the Crysis folder.
---
Crysis and Warhead support 1920x1080 resolution. Go to C:\Users\_your_user_name_\Documents\My Games\Crysis and edit the file "game.cfg". Change the following lines to read:
"r_Width = 1920" and "r_Height = 1080".
Then launch the game. You can mark the file as 'Read Only'.
Crysis Warhead.
9 / 10
Great again! Magnificent.
---
To install Crysis Warhead onto your Games drive: select or fill in the drive letter, and create the Crysis_Warhead folder (or create it in advance and select, or just type the path and the folder wil be created).
---
About the Activation: https://www.tweakguides.com/CrysisWar_2.html
EA Revoke Tool: https://activate.ea.com/deauthorize/
Crysis 2.
8 / 10
Incredible.
The way it spawns enemy soldiers... (not the aliens, i mean the soldiers!).
This is one of the weakest aspects of the game.
I don't mean the game is hard (at veteran), because it's not. But the game cheats too obviously.
Very enjoyable game, very good looking in DX11. Checkpoints are way too far apart. On the other hand it's part of the game, the challenge.

Crysis 3
8 / 10
Great game... or not.
It contains not the worst boss-fights ever, but close. Both the end- and sub-bossfights.
Incredibly angering choice of checkpoint placements... goddammit how many times i got annoyed by that.
Annoying bugs, like: when you're cloaked, the JAV may shoot right through any flying target, bullet's gone with no effect, over and over again. JAV will not stick to target.
Still by far the best first person sci-fi shooter in existance, fascinating, beautiful, detailed, 'well-composed', so the minor bugs and flaws aren't really important, they're just a pity as the game could have been much better still.
It is still a very good game simply because it is alone in its class, plays very smoothly, has much to enjoy and (at least to me) has very high replayability.

Blín D'ñero
Site Admin

Post by Blín D'ñero »

D

Daikatana.
7 / 10
Classic fps, very good i think. But i stopped where level 2 starts for some reason i forgot, something in the gameplay turned me off. Should try it again maybe.
Dark Messiah of Might and Magic.
9.5 / 10
The most amazing and spot on designed game i have ever played. My biggest favourite!
Dark Messiah of Might and Magic multiplayer.
? / 10
Looks like fun. But i don't play multiplayer.
Dead Space
Not enjoyed it a single moment.
Dead Space 2
This game is not right. There's so much not really well done in the design (the characters, the shoulder cam while crawling, the monsters, etc etc), it annoys me too much to continue.
Dead Island
4 / 10
Played upto Skill level 7 did many sidequests; can honestly say that: this game is total garbage.
Delta Force 2.
* / 10
Delta Force - Black Hawk Down.
6 / 10
Pretty well done. Don't remember much of it.
Deus Ex: Human Revolution.
4.5 / 10
Crap. Thread.
Deus Ex: Invisible War.
7.5 / 10
A good old classic.
Desperados -Wanted dead or Alive.
0 / 10
I detest it. In the first place because of the bird's eye view, for a cowboy game(!).
Devastation.
7.5 / 10
Great game.
Die Hard: Nakatomi Plaza.
8 / 10
One of my favourites. Very good game, a real classic. Sadly in the last part in the end level it gets annoying that the bullet ballistics is quite unprecise... when the baddy holds the hero's wife hostage and you have to hit his face. Aiming on his face isn't the hard part, but most of the times the bullet doesn't go where you aimed for but kills your wife next to it, and that's end of game. The secret is that you have to do exactly as the programmers designed in their storyboard, or else.

It depends on where you stand. By error and retry you can find it out. This part is one of the poorest worked out from the whole game. Don't come closer than a certain distance to them, or your lovely wife will just die and the game ends. And only shoot when the bad guy makes that funny move with his head!
Dishonored
7 / 10
A quality game.
Beautiful, intelligent and adventurous! But also somewhat ugly, pretentious (story), rediculous (those audiologs, the many books and letters scattered along your path).
Save anywhere!
Combat is very good. Sneaking is very good (climb anywhere).
But it's also too easy and too short.

Doom3 + Resurrection of Evil.
8.5 / 10
Superb.
Driver: San Francisco
5 /10
What rubbish. The first half hour of the game is like being forced to watch a 1980's Starsky and Hutch TV episode, not playing a video game. :thdown:
Then follows another half hour of Starsky and Hutch blablabla intertwined with some interactivity: car-driving all over the place hitting pedestrians launching into the air (but at best they just complain with loud voices, no-one dies). Weird game. Oh and i never liked Starsky and Hutch and the 80's. Driving over pedestrians belongs in Carmageddon, and there it is funny, noit in the last place because they react and die. Here where the city is presented realistically as far as visuals go, it is not funny, there's hardly a reaction, and nobody dies. It is stupid, and clumsy. Is it me being clumsy on the wheel? No: the keyboardcontrol is poor and the car's behavior is really bad.
Zooming in and out... I've got the keys to the city... Let's go and terrorize a drive-instructor! Naa.. this game doesn't capture me at al.
Dronez.
* / 10
For free with a videocard. Never actually played it.
Druuna - Morbus Gravis.
0 / 10
Gets the reward of The most horrible POS of a game i have ever seen/tried to play.
Duke Nukem Forever
Only just bought (for €6.99 cuz i wait for games to get cheaper even if it takes two years) and installed.
In the intro: Duke's smile is girly. He shouldn't smoke, it's like he wants to die.
It is pretty over the top allright, or even a bit stupid, and the lack of expression on the people's faces is not charming: you hear them laugh but the faces don't show it, only the lips move.
Still that's ok, the gameplay is very fine! Punching goes very smooth. But since i picked up a weapon i can't punch with bare hands anymore, how does that work??? Options > Controls doesn't help. :???:
Driving the toy car in order to get the energy cell is brilliant! :thup: :D After the "mothership battle". When peeping from the vent, it's clumsyness or what, by the sound of it that naked girl would be crying. Then it's clear she's being filmed by the other girl and i guess that in fact she is supposed to be masturbating... VERY unconvincing. Either do it right, or don't do it is what i'd say. Stop that "owww, i'm so controversial" attitude because it's lamer than hell.
Duke Nukem Manhattan Project.
? / 10
A 2D game, but very good in this genre. Great fun for the few moments i played it. But i can't stand the '2D' system, so i left it and can't really rate it.
Dukes of Hazzard.
* / 10
I must have tried it (at least for installation and testing) but i don't remember.
Dungeon Siege.
* / 10
Not my kind of game. I don't like RTS nor any 'bird's eye view' games.

Blín D'ñero
Site Admin

Post by Blín D'ñero »

E

Evil Twins -Cyprien's Chronicles.
1 / 10
I didn't enjoy it. Gameplay (controls) not very intuitive, not fluid, it's probably a matter of getting used to (in which i didn't succeed). The game story: it's a kid's world, 'nuff said.
4x4 Evo 2.
3 / 10
Well made 'four wheel drive' rally, that's it. I don't care.
Exodus From The Earth
6 / 10
In the intro it starts with weak characters display, especially in the fmv's horrible attempt to lipsync which went frightingly wrong. Very very poor voiceacting. In the actual game starting inside the building however, it is slightly better, but later sinks down the mud again.
Apparently the designers thought that boring muzak on the background would do well...
Incredible is that the default key of "use/pick up" is Ctrl. Instead of "E" which is natural. So that's to reassign before continuing the game.
There are 2 heads distributed between all the guards: one group of clones has the head with ringbeard, the other bunch wears glasses.
In the garage there is a medipack under a little box in the corner.
I pick up the little box and carry it to the middle of the room, then pick up the drillmachine -which is heavy- and let it fall onto the box so that it breaks. Or kneel and use "F" (melee). Destroying the box releases the medipack (twas inside or beneath it)... on the original spot in the corner! :clown:
To climb or descend a ladder, you don't need your feet ON the sports, they can be in the air a meter NEXT to the ladder as well, only thing is you may bump your head at the end.
Standing high up on (or next to, LOL) a ladder, you can turn 360 degrees and up and down (so, almost a full globe) with both hands aiming a pistol. Clumsy controls and lack of "save anywhere", so you may die often and replay from the sparse checkpoints.... :roll:
The altfire on the sniperrifle is some sort of grenade launcher, meaning if you accidentally right-click for zooming (which is done by "Z" or what i changed it to by "B") because you're used to from other games and it's just natural, you kill yourself. :fp:
EYE Devine Cybermancy
- / 10
Looks good but that's it. The conversation with characters is (while standing still infront of them): reading a lot of text (you click on the question then get to read the reply, just like in Stalker) while no voice is heard. Unnatural, annoying. So i didn't even continue.

Blín D'ñero
Site Admin

Post by Blín D'ñero »

F

F1 World Grand Prix.
2 / 10
I don't care for serious F1 racing. I'm a Need For Speed driver.
Far Cry.
8 / 10
Excellent.
Far Cry 2.
6 / 10
Loving how it looks and sounds, gameplay is quirky. You cannot save during a mission, so you better not get distracted. If you die, you start the whole 'mission' all over... the mission start is the checkpoint. Really really annoying. And you can't just take ammo you find, you have to buy stuff first. IMO two major designflaws. Losing interest i'll probably never finish this game.
Far Cry 3.
3 / 10
I hate it. However great it looks, it is garbage. I was punished for walking out of the mission area. But i had finished the mission, and i wanted to take the car back to the village! That was not allowed. I HAD to take quicktravel (lame!!!) via the map to transport myself.

So i came at a house at the beach, looted a few casks. The pirates came i fled in my car and they chased me. Along the way i jumped out and found a buggy-challenge ("bring the medicine withing 30 seconds to point X") -which was my luck, because it made the pirates vanish (they almost got me). It's hard to control that buggy so i failed a few times. You get asked: "Retry?" I click YES. And then the screen says in red letters "YOU FAILED." after which the game/challenge reloads. No, YOU fail, devs.

Performance on my 7970 crossfire PC was disappointing initially. Until i tried this tip:
We experienced a horrible amount of stuttering under CrossFire. It was as if the game was pausing every few frames, making the game choppy, and the performance inconsistent. The gameplay experience was close to awful using CrossFire.

We did find a way to fix it though, but the catch is you have to enable the "2 Frames" VSYNC option in the graphics settings. What this will do is cap the refresh rate to half of what your display is. In this case, our display is 60hz, so VSYNC x2 sets the FPS to a constant 30 FPS. In doing so, this completely removed the stuttering and choppiness under CrossFire. We were then able to have a smooth experience at any resolution, up to 2560x1600 with 4X MSAA. Therefore, you are not able to achieve the "full potential" with CrossFire, and experience a smooth gameplay experience. You have to cap your framerate well below the average FPS, in order to make CrossFire as smooth as SLI.
Source (hardocp)

Some gameplay tips: far-cry-3-crafting-guide-bags-fun

Anyway, i tried but can't get into it. On my way to something ( i forgot, it is after giving the doctor the mushrooms, and meeting the girl in his house), i find things to loot. Game tells me my lootbag is too small, i have to craft a bigger one. (Oh no, i have to craft something, in a videogame ... :roll: ) So i kill two tapirs, just for their skins i end their lives... and i craft a bigger loot-sack. Ok, now sell some items in the shop to get even more room in the loot-sack. No, that won't work: game says "cannot sell; wallet not big enough!~" Godammit what a shit game. :xmad: Now i have to kill some other animals with a name i never heard of. Whilst killing some animals (hoping they are the required ones), pirates come shooting at me so i kill them. Before i can skin my animal, i get attacked by a dog. I kill it, but a second dog kills me. Game reloads with me standing next to a radio tower and a car. This is really getting me nowhere...
Later, i relaunch the game, and: i have lost my rugged rucksack. I never killed 2 tapirs. Goddammit what a tedious crap.

The actual game, the story to begin with is such that however much i tried i cannot get into it anyway. I found a Review @ cracked.com i can sympathise with:
Far Cry 3 adheres to the story archetype of the Aryan Savior, as previously seen in movies like Avatar and The Last Samurai. Jason Brody shows up on a tribal island to party with his white friends, assuming, by virtue of his birth, that the whole world belongs to him, and here's the game's narrative twist: it totally does! Rich, entitled white people rule, bro! After they get into some richly-deserved trouble, the natives take Jason in, instantly adopt him as the king of their warrior clan, and bestow their mighty native secrets onto him so that he, in his whiteness, might save them from the failings of their own society.

F.E.A.R..
. / 10
Very 'alive' AI, and good gameplay. Still i was disappointed, maybe i was annoyed by the horror effect i don't like. And the opponents accept way too many bullets in the head before they die. Currently restarted giving it another chance.
F.E.A.R. 2 - Project Origin
8 / 10
From the salesbin €5,99, i finally decided to check it out. I was not disappointed. Engine is very very smooth, controls are very good. Graphics and sound are neat, voiceacting is generally not very good (as if they are reading from paper). Running from room to room, shooting everything that moves, playing with different weapons, all with fat visuals and sound effects. Could have done without the paranormal crap.
Some of the creative department are on drugs apparently (also worked on Fear 1), for the effects of bullets: concrete pillars get completely torn apart, bodies are reduced to ribsteaks just by a few bullets, enemies can take quite a few headshots before they stop shooting and explode, oh and the bulletholes in the piano, seen what they look like? slices of a treetrunk standing upright on the keyboard, reflection in the water on the ground shows buildings not present at all, totally different than what it should be. [screenshot]
You play half a game where door-ways are blocked because of stuff in the way, then suddenly you're granted the ability to lift objects!
The more it progresses the game gets better and better, it evolves into a pretty damn fine shooter with very good combat. Horror effect moments with evil entities suddenly popping up in front of you. Pretty scary when the guy controlling zombie bodies by the red threads appears every now and then. One of my biggest complaints is the wrong checkpointsystem that almost never comes up after picking up all ammo and health, rather before that. It means if you get killed and checkpoint reloaded, first thing is to revisit all places to pick up all the same stuff again..

No matter the actual environment, the image in the water is not reflecting it. For 'reflections' on water surfaces (pools on ground and floors) the game uses 2 pictures, one for inside one for outside. The exact same picture is used throughout the game on all locations. It's probably very efficient, but the fact there is no reflection, is crazy. The same method is used in Crysis 2, DX9 as well as DX11 extreme setting, although with more than 2 pictures. I don't understand. While many games have it done right, one of which the simple Exodus From The Earth...

Enemy gets sliced in two neat halves by one sniper bullet:
(to make the screenshot without snipergun in sight, i selected the next gun -he lowers weapon during the switch- that's why you see rocketlauncher ammo)
Reborn expansion is good! :thup:
Weird A.I.. but challenging, many frustrating idiocies, but which game doesn't have that. This is at least better than average, i had a great time with it! But also frustrating: strictly speaking badly placed checkpoints, but it doesn't matter, i managed anyway, it's part of the game.
F.E.A.R. 3
7 / 10
It's not too bad.
Fighter Duel Special Edition.
* / 10
Old. The only game in history i didn't manage to even get installed on XP at all.
Fighting Force.
7 / 10
Funny and surprisingly dynamic game. Good humor. Core Design (makers of Tomb Raider).
Flatout Ultimate Carnage.
5.5 / 10
I don't like it. The way the cars behave under my controls and how they react to eachother and the objects are too 'realistic' (attempting that is) to be fun to me. Sliding and total loss crashing galore before i know it. :eh:
Maybe being a console port that the controls are not intuitive on the keyboard. Looks good (especially the gorgeous landscapes, the lighting, and the cars are crispy sharp-detailed). But give me Need For Speed and i can breathe again; that's how it should be IMO.
Freedom Fighters.
4.5 / 10
Not a bad game, but i lost interest very quickly. Ported from PS? I find the controls and the autosaving methods (checkpoints, you can't add or change saves) very uncomfortable. Third person view plays weird.

Blín D'ñero
Site Admin

Post by Blín D'ñero »

G

Gabriel Knight 3.
7.5 / 10
Proof that a good game does not need nice graphics. With a strong voice-over and good story with uncomparable humor. I quickly fell for the simple comic-like graphics.
Gears of War.
4 / 10
Not any moment the controlsystem feels natural or intuitive to me; much too limited in eyesight and movements. I hate it not being able to jump. It seems to be a pretty popular unreal engine based gory shooter from 2006. But however i tried i could not enjoy it.
And man i hate that games for windows live thing you must install before actually playing, while all i want is singleplayer. Anyway i'll pick it up again some day.
Grand Theft Auto 3.
5 / 10
I like the freedom of movement over very vast areas,excellent engine. Extreme rubbish as a game. The player is supposed to identify with this guy that has no other goal than working like a dog for the mob. Not my character. I hate when criminal trash is romanticised.
Subsequently i'm not interested in the 2 sequels and GTA4. All same kind.
Ghost Recon (+ expansion packs Island Thunder and Desert Siege).
7 / 10
Only tried, haven't really played them through.
Giants: Citizen Kabuto.
6 / 10
Irritating.
Gore - Ultimate Soldier.
7.5 / 10
Great satisfying shoot em up game, i had lots of fun.
Gothic 3.
3 / 10
Only played first level, and don't think ever will do the rest.
Grid; see Race Driver: Grid
Gun.
1 / 10
Ugliest graphics and interface and awful thirdperson gameplay. I'll never touch this again. There was one element quite good about it, i forgot what that was, but that gets the 1 point.
Gunlock.
* / 10

Blín D'ñero
Site Admin

Post by Blín D'ñero »

H

Half-Life + Blue Shift.
9 / 10
EXCELLENT absolute favourite.
Half-Life2, Episode 1, Episode 2.
9 / 10
EXCELLENT absolute favourite.
Half-Life 2 Deathmatch
Half-Life Deathmatch Source
Halo Combat Evolved.
2 / 10
I really really tried, but gave up. Not my kind of game.
Hard Reset
4 / 10
Hectic. Constantly under attack by hordes. I can't stand it.
In the very first part, you're not allowed to backtrack much. And there's no crouch! :sad: Maybe i'll get used to it.
The first round i died. So i restarted the game. This time i just outran 20 little enemies, they pursued me, at the end of the track i jumped upon a car and from that position i killed the robot guy. It died with an explosion killing the whole horde of little ones that had followed me, with it. So that was too easy! :nuts:
Still, i don't manage to proceed in the game, it is too rediculous to keep my attention.

Heavy Metal FAKK2.
5 / 10
Curious thing.
Helicops.
* / 10
Not bad for a Windows 95 game. Didn't and won't play it so can't rate it.
Hidden and Dangerous 2.
2 / 10
Annoying, cripple gameplay.
Hitman: Codename 47.
4 / 10
Totally detestable character (come on guys, you expect me to identify with this?!), gameplay isn't intuitive ... I don't like it, period.
Hitman 2: Silent Assassin.
4 / 10
Got it for free with my Audigy card. Graphics have improved. Character tries to get my sympathy. Sorry, i think he should stay locked up.
With Hitman 3: Contracts (demo) and Hitman 4: Blood Money (demo) i saw only the graphics were improved, but basically the same. I've seen more than enough Hitman.
Homefront
8 /10
Very good one. That's clear right from the start. Only just played through 5 levels yet. So far, very impressive! Honest, natural, powerful, dynamic, dramatic.

Control complaint: mouselag on the weapon, especially when zoomed in. [fixes: https://segmentnext.com/2011/03/15/home ... ors-fixes/ that almost eliminate it]
Graphically: a very convincing rich style. Very picturesque and alive.

A thing i began to notice in several games, the reflections in waterpools on the streets and various locations, because they are so out of order. I don't understand why they are so sloppy with them, especially in DX11 games. Reflections in the water pools make no sense at all; no relation with the environment whatsoever. Basically there are two reflection images: one with clouds, one with trees against the sky. In environments with buildings the clouds one is used, none of the buildings are reflected, the clouds do not even remotely resemble the actual clouds in the sky, and are flipped 90 degrees (they go vertically?!). In the countryside, the one with trees is used, half of the image the trees grow sideways, horizontally. Inside damaged countryside-buildings with waterpools on the floor and an intact roof, it's very odd seeing trees against open sky "reflected" that aren't even there inside the house.
The first place where the waterpools reflections are finally totally in line with the actual environment is right before entering the Church.

Missing checkpoint: before entering the church. After the annoying fight in front of the church, you enter the church, pick up heavier weapons and go to the second floor for the next confrontation. If you then die, you're placed back before entering the church and have to do the first battle all over again. :xmad: It just makes no sense.
Odd: one of the two weapons you can pick up when entering the church is called "M16 Rifle [Grenade Launcher]" but it's just a rifle like you already have.
It's during the helicopter mission that the game starts to become uninteresting./ :-|-: too patriottic when 70's rock sets in (vietnam hello?). Descended from the helicopter you're still holding the grenade launcher but you cannot aim with it! (you can shoot in the air and reload) :nuts: It's one of those moments, like many others in the game, you must do what you are supposed to do, otherwise: death or you receive a "mission fail", so move the mousewheel to the next gun, the rifle with telescope. And then miraculously you have lost the grenade launcher. It has vanished.
Then again it becomes painfully clear that all that's happening is you're loosing bullets while the enemies keep on respawning untill you have gained terrain on the left side, the side of the tower, instead of flanking from the right, so it's you who decides if you're confronted with 200 enemies or just 15.
Good thing there's never shortage of weapons and ammo, nevertheless it's annoying to see your gun having disappeared after a reload when you died, the game saves at the wrong moment, pickups are gone, and the weapon you HAD to drop before you could take the heavy cannon to destroy the helicopter is gone forever too. But no problem there's always some other weapon left to pick up, as you have 2 weapon slots you're supposed to have filled.

Extremely annoying is when from the Humvee you are supposed to apply "countermeasures" on the Goliath... it is unclear what's happening! :smh: So it's a puzzle: you have to guess what's expected of you. :nuts: Anyway: keep hitting the F while keeping shooting the Goliath, it'll finally be destroyed. Strange, after the ending sequence (the jets bombing on enemies close to the flare the bridge) has rolled by you're still on the bridge, supposed to enter the Humvee but you get killed before you even reach it. Is it over now, or is not. Is there more? This happened to me 8, 9 times, so instead of the credits, i died after the game had ended and this set me back to previous checkpoint where i had to enter the Humvee to destroy the Goliath. Finally after many times, suddenly the credits appeared when they should.

The game is short, too short. And simple, and easy, except for a few too many Koreans here and there and the weird ending.
The game has some crippled graphics but most of it is good and looking gorgeous (from an artistic point of view).
Hydrophobia
4 / 10
Feels as if it is made by a school team: project "make our own game", steal whatever you like from every game you know, but keep it so a 10-year old can play it, we'll put his teacher miss Kate in the leading role.`