My 3D-games list

News, discussion, get assistance for technical problems with PC games not listed above, or share your insights.
Blín D'ñero
Site Admin

Re: My 3D-games list

Post by Blín D'ñero »

I

IGI (Project: IGI).
2 / 10
Too primitive.
IGI 2: Covert Strike.
4 / 10
Classic FPS. Good game.
Impossible Creatures.
* / 10
Crap. Don't even know how to play this.
Main PC: Asus TUF Gaming 570-Pro (wi-fi) * AMD Ryzen 7 5800X * Noctua NH-D15 * Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB * Asus TUF Radeon 6800XT * Creative AE-9PE * 2 x Samsung 980 Pro * 7 x WD Gold HDD * Corsair HX 1000 * 1 x Asus DRW-24D5MT * Dell U3010 * Windows 10 x64 *

Office PC: Asus ROG Strix X570-E * AMD Ryzen 7 3800X * Noctua NH-D15 * Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB * MSI Radeon 5700XT * Creative Soundblaster ZxR * 2 x Corsair Force MP600 * 7 x WD Gold HDD * Corsair AX 1200W * 1 x Asus DRW-24D5MT * Dell P4317Q * Windows 10 x64 *

Old workhorse PC: * Intel i7 4790K * Noctua NH-D15S * Asus Maximus VII Hero * Corsair Force MP510 480GB M.2 SSD * 32 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum CMD32GX3M4A2133C9 * Sapphire Radeon R9 290 * 3 x Dell U2410 @ Eyefinity 5760 x 1200 * Corsair HX 1000i * 7 x WD Black / Gold HDDs * Creative Soundblaster ZxR * Asus DRW F1ST * Corsair K95 RGB * Corsair M65 PRO RGB * Steelseries 9HD * Coolermaster STC T01 * Edifier S530 * Sennheiser HD598 * Windows 10 x64 *
Blín D'ñero
Site Admin

Post by Blín D'ñero »

J

James Bond - Blood Stone.
5 / 10
Apart from that i don't like to constantly see the actor, not only because he keeps his grumpy mask-face. The environments are well-done and as such the game is a beauty. The controls are limited to shooting and a few scripted actions: dumbed down interactivity: Press "E" and James will climb the ladder completely by himself. The game is a movie with some interactivity in it.
Not much to be done except the obvious, and if you don't get it, Bond will ostentatively keep staring in the direction of the goal until you go there. The looking good but limited exploring part reminds me of Tomb Raider Legend: invisible blockades everywhere, you're not allowed to walk in the empty bath tub, you cannot burn yourself at the fireplace. You're supposed to enter the building and encounter enemies there, so if you stay outside you are told to go inside "time is running out", you cannot explore the ship, it's a restricted area by invisible blockade.

Unexpectedly he cannot jump! (except for the scripted jump " E" when there is a specific order onscreen, a jump onto another block IF it is on James's path)
He will kick a door if it has a role in the scenario, he is unable to kick in any other door.
When you approach a key-moment, the thing will seamlessly change from game to movie and you just watch how James gets into a fight and interrogates the bad guy. Who says "you're too late" which means his boss has already fled, so James steps into a car and then waits for your input 'cause you're in a game again, and are suddenly supposed to drive that car.
But that all was just the tutorial level i suppose.

Flaws in the scenario... At start of the real first level, i tried the smartphone, as i understood it's "1" to access it and "E" to use it. But "1" did nothing. All that James could do is what the scenario let him do and that is walk towards the end of the street. Then the "movie" version took over. Construction site down there, a guy halts James, James pretends to work for an archeological museum, he is given a safety hat before entering the construction site and with the words "safety first", throws it away! :nuts: And with it, his credibility. :clown: But the guy however standing close to James, doesn't even notice he's thrown the safety-hat away. This is plain idiotic. He should say "Hey! What are you doing? I can't let you pass throwing the safety hat away! Besides, i don't trust anymore you're a professional at all!"
So, James walks in the direction of the construction site, and then onscreen appears the text: "You can access your Smartphone at any time by pressing "1""... :roll: Which is a lie. 'Any time' has passed, when i couldn't.
Oh, and when such tip is onscreen, James is unable to walk. You MUST do what the tip says. So you access the smartphone. Immediately you see a lot of " evidence" around. But let's walk back towards the worker who gave James the hat saying " nobody enters the construction site... without a hat!". James can approach him upto 1 meter, then bumps against an invisible blockade. The guy standing there against his little wooden cabin at the other side of the invisible fence does not appear to notice James anymore, nor his lack of safety hat which he so specifically told is obliged.
When you're in the cabin being lifted by the crane... you see onscreen " press "E" to jump!" --- you jump out of the window, but you don't know yet that he will grab a hook from a crane -and you don't need to know cause it's all automated scripted anyway.
From an open case you pick up a MP7 machine gun, but the blue info dot coming from the box is about the Silencer P99.
---
Most actions are scripted, with just a 'one button user input'; exploration is zero: most areas are inaccessable, you can only go where you're supposed to go.
When James meets the prisoner chained at the wall, they have a conversation but neither moves their lips.... at the end, James gets an updated goal, but he doesn't make any effort to free the prisoner.
---
I look at his feet: he does wear shoes. But he makes no noise at all running over the wooden planks past the cells... it sounds as if he's walking on socks.
Oh and: you can't fall down; invisible blockade prevents you to.
---
The movement controls are only contextual: he cannot just jump up. Jumping, taking cover, climbing... those options only work when given on screen. When James reaches a point where he is supposed to jump you are told "E" to jump. Other time and place, no forget it.

When James reaches a fallen pillar, a horizontal obstacle with top height of slightly above his elbows: This very athletic man can NOT climb over it by will, even though in the previous room he made a jump of 2 meters from a ledge into a window, but then the option was given onscreen.
Further in the room, another horizontal pillar, and suddenly the option to vault ("E") appears on screen. Wow, isn't it exciting!?
And to top it off, when James reaches the gangsters who are torturing a guy to get the password of an usb stick, the game becomes a movie again while you watch how James starts shooting and the guys flee away. But you quickly forget about that because it's a racing game again and you're chasing! At the end of which a spectaular jump through a concrete drainpipe is fully automated (the controls are taken from you as you play), and after an FMV you are put back into control with your pistol.

Zoom-aiming is not difficult for James, as he moves on a rail, left and right back and forth (direction keys), and -whether AK47 or pistol- it remains steady as a stick. After kiling everybody, James is not the examining type picking up objects, opening cases... he doesn't do that but approaching some wooden machine he is "told" the option to kick out a wooden support.
Another chase after the gangsters, but the villain boss is too far ahead. Untill you kill the last gangster, then the game becomes a movie again, James is suddenly near the helicopter, knocking down the villain boss, taking posession of the data stick etcetera while you just watch.
What kind of game audience is this product for? The lazy i guess... not for me.
Jane´s Attack Squadron.
1 / 10
Crap. Bought it to experience a sense of flying and enjoy the landscape from above. A total mis-interpretation of the cover, because that didn't happen. I shouldn't have bought it.
Jericho; see under Clive Barker's Jericho
Judge Dredd vs Death
7.5 / 10
Really funny.
Just Cause.
4 / 10
It's so darn easy and stupid, superficial and funny. Childish. Dynamic. You can really go everywhere you want. On your motorcycle uphill like no way in real life. There is really nothing in this game that obeys to real law of physics. Looks like the creators were drunk when they made it. Hasty port from PS2 probably, and not tested. And no patch released. I don't get why Eidos released it in this state. Of course it wouldn't be a bestseller. Are they nuts throwing away their investment and our money?! (€5,99 i paid, but still).
Anyway: good music, great looks, good atmosphere. Despite the many bugs of all sorts (motorcycle / car engine has no sound but you hear the grass when you drive over it lol), i somehow like it and i might even play this to the end!
Just Cause 2.
From the salesbin € 6.99. Just started it. It is instant, maniacal fun. Rediculous in a very entertaining way. I need more time to get used to the controls, on keyboard....
Main PC: Asus TUF Gaming 570-Pro (wi-fi) * AMD Ryzen 7 5800X * Noctua NH-D15 * Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB * Asus TUF Radeon 6800XT * Creative AE-9PE * 2 x Samsung 980 Pro * 7 x WD Gold HDD * Corsair HX 1000 * 1 x Asus DRW-24D5MT * Dell U3010 * Windows 10 x64 *

Office PC: Asus ROG Strix X570-E * AMD Ryzen 7 3800X * Noctua NH-D15 * Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB * MSI Radeon 5700XT * Creative Soundblaster ZxR * 2 x Corsair Force MP600 * 7 x WD Gold HDD * Corsair AX 1200W * 1 x Asus DRW-24D5MT * Dell P4317Q * Windows 10 x64 *

Old workhorse PC: * Intel i7 4790K * Noctua NH-D15S * Asus Maximus VII Hero * Corsair Force MP510 480GB M.2 SSD * 32 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum CMD32GX3M4A2133C9 * Sapphire Radeon R9 290 * 3 x Dell U2410 @ Eyefinity 5760 x 1200 * Corsair HX 1000i * 7 x WD Black / Gold HDDs * Creative Soundblaster ZxR * Asus DRW F1ST * Corsair K95 RGB * Corsair M65 PRO RGB * Steelseries 9HD * Coolermaster STC T01 * Edifier S530 * Sennheiser HD598 * Windows 10 x64 *
Blín D'ñero
Site Admin

Post by Blín D'ñero »

K

Kingpin -Life of Crime.
1 / 10
Offensive rotten low-life trash. Not even funny.
Kreed.
7 / 10
Excellent classic FPS.

Blín D'ñero
Site Admin

Post by Blín D'ñero »

L

L.A. Noire
7½ / 10
Nice and entertaining game. It's good to play the law's side.
Slow-paced, emphasis on investigating and interrogation, combining clues. Walking and driving around in this 1947 world is fascinating, it's all made with great attention to detail.
Cinematic clichés: Investigation music starts playing when you search for clues... Oh you can disable that in options!

Faces are naturally lifelike and lipsynch is perfect.
how Interrogation works can be confusing. I like this video i found:

... but i still don't understand it. I can't use my own intuition, i must find out what the game expects of me. It's guesswork, trial and error. :thdown:

Controls are clumsy and ineffective... f.i. when you chase a villain who in the end takes a hostage and you have to take your chances shooting the guy from 8 meters before he kills the hostage. It's not easy with this third person view... in almost any fpshooter, the crosshair stays in the center, but here it can move all over the place. So, it goes wrong (you may even kill the hostage yourself by accident), and then you have to do the whole thing all over again from the moment you arrive at the location.... :roll: This sort of business makes it tedious and repetitive.
Cars disappear before your eyes, a car you just confiscated pops away, cars you pass or damage driving may suddenly vanish.
Remarkable graphics trick with "reflections" in glass and mirrors: in the gun store, a stills picture of the room's interior including the two cops and the salesman serves as a reflection on the glass counter. it turns with the camera if you move around,You as cop may look one way and the reflection the opposite. But if you turn the camera a little you suddenly see your reflection gets updated to your current attitude.
Doing house investigation, in front of mirrors the technique's limitation gets more evident: your reflection doesn't update, and most of the room does not reflect at all, you get clear blue nothingness, or darkness.
It seems you can walk anywhere, park your car anywhere. But for instance when i arrived at the Schroeder's Apartment location, i parked next to the building. Then immediately a scripted animation took over and it made me exit my car suddenly parked at the opposite side of the street! Or i drive to a location without my partner (i like to leave him behind). But at the location a scripted animation makes us arrive together.
I didn't finish it. Stuck in a stupid way. Thread
Sofar, this was all before the first patch.
It seems that things are improving with updates and patches.
Update March 2012: i got an awesome deal in a shop (the very same shop sale as in My New PC 2012 :D ), the Complete Edition for about € 10,- So that includes the DLC, and the DX11 patch is downloaded automatically. I'm replaying the game from scratch.
Well, since the DX11 patch most visual bugs are fixed! Not so many cars disappearing, only a very few (once they went off-camera, i quickly looked back and they were gone), and not vanishing right before your eyes anymore. Mirror-reflections seem complelety fixed too!
The lame things have been there from start. Like: after you investigated the murder evidence and interrogated a few people, you go to a next location. On purpose or not, you did not take your partner with you in the car. So you arrive at the location (just before it), and with a sirene your partner arrives too in a policecar. While you're standing there, their car happens to hit you. With a terrible scream you fall and die. YOU are punished for this because of "Inspector died" and you have to redo the case from the beginning! :thdown: Goddammit what a nonsense. In the hospital Phelps talks to Jessica right after entering the room "do you feel a bit better since this morning Jessica?" and she replies "A little... my head still feels swimmy" before the interactive conversation starts where it's obvious that they have never met before: "Ehh, my name is Cole Phelps, i'm a policeman..." That bug is still there.
The receptionist in the Bishop apartment. Why does he say 'it's the last door on the right", while obviously Bishop's apartment is the last door on the left. Bug seen earlier: Impossible using phone after Interview Gloria Bishop. Which means: restart whole mission. /Dammit.

Why is the word "abbreviation" so long? (actual question from a bystander).
"I never forget a face. But in your case, i'll be happy to make an exception.

But anyway, now with the DLC and DX11 it is finally more or less a finished product, a beauty of a game and very entertaining. :thup: (Updated my rating accordingly)

Still even after the latest patch, many displacements throughout the game, like investigating the hobo camp, one is standing a meter above a matrass, then suddenly sinks into a lying position and slides horizontally a few meters away. Then IN the mattrass appears to be a man lying, only his head and shoulders stick out, moves some, then finally sinks away. At another spot a man is walking IN the ground, only his head sticking out.
(btw, the hobo 'with horribily disfigured face' Ackerman just has a normal face, with a few smudges).
Following the cab trace, Phelps finds the cab on the street, with the driver standing ONTOP of the car. At the end of the conversation he steps into his car. But the next camera angle shows his car parked aside the street, and you could just see the driver moving from a 'standing in the air' position on the middkle of the street (since his cab moved away), down and walking to his car. Is all funny though.

Less funny: the tailing. It's totally wrong. Back then they didn't have satnav, but you're supposed to rely on it here (the red dot). As soon as you use the camera to look at Rampley walking in the distance, "he discovered you" but A. i made sure that Cole didn't look at him and B. if i would not look now and then, i'm afraid he would evade me again. Six retries before i got how this is supposed to work, and each time having to replay the whole sidemission from start is pretty annoying. Why not just retry the tailing.... :xmad:

When after watching the "Newspaper-story" -video, you accidentally left-click on the newspaper again, you have to watch the story again: it is unskippable! :fp:

A few cases i got stuck in the middle because everything in the notebook was done and checked without an indication what to do next. Restart the case results in that you also get to redo the street crime cases! :thdown: Like the first Arson case. The second playthrough yes the Fire Station No 32 finally gets written in the notebook, and it makes sense to go there (meaning: finally there's something to do at that address!).
Lousy game design. This game is crippled and crappy. Overall it's a cinematic experience, with some interactivity. Well-made stageplay. "What were you thinking Cole! Next thing you'll be calling Nixon a crook hehe!" :D
Beautiful and great atmosphere, but qua gameplay, technically a turd. :roll:
Marvellous story, marvellously performed and displayed. But the "game" plays like a brick.

Legacy Of Kain: Defiance.
3 / 10
Miserable gameplay.
Left 4 Dead
7 / 10
During the 1-day free trial, i played the singleplayer part completely. As a taste of what the multiplayer must be like, it is awesome!
I don't play multiplayer so i left it there for dead.
Lord Of The Rings - The Return Of The King.
1 / 10
Not my kind of game; i should've left it in the salesbin.
Lost Planet: Extreme Condition.
2 / 10
Hmm. This wasn't exactly what i expected... (level 2). I find it childish, a pinball machine. Quit game. Not interested. I shouldn't buy a new game so easily; i blindly trusted this one. Source game, and "awesome graphics and sound in an immersive adventure..." no it isn't.

Blín D'ñero
Site Admin

Post by Blín D'ñero »

M

Mace Griffin Bounty Hunter.
5 / 10
Not bad classic FPS. Strange mouse sensitivity hard to control.
Mafia.
3 / 10
Everytime i see mafia romanticised i feel sad. I don't understand why anyone would want to play in a 'realistic' game the character of an idiot with no conscience killing entrepreneurs, civilians and police, having that as their daily business. I don't like movies and games romanticising mobsters. Got sick in the stomach beating people to death with a baseball bat in this game. Not to mention i got sick (of annoyance and boredom) driving around in those antique unresponsive unspeedy cars, the worst was with that antique racecar. After this, launching Need For Speed... what a relief!

I hate the mob, but in the western movie and gaming world you find hordes of adolescent pricks enjoying to play their disturbed fantasy of being a criminal shithead, enjoying "working their way up" in such organisation. :nuts:
What i would like better is an anti-Mafia game, where i could shoot the shit out of those scumbags... they're pure evil and i want them dead!

Manhunt.
1 / 10
Sick. Absolutely dumb product.
Mass Effect.
9 / 10
Excellent excellent. Wow i love it! Adventure, FPS, RTS, squad, and awesome graphics and sound it's all in. So rich of excitement and entertainment a game can possibly be. In a form i never saw before (could be me though). The squad part is so good because you don't have to give them orders, they're intelligent, you just select them based on their skillls (that improve during the game). You buy/earn skills and decide your own way through the missions, a lot of investigating has to be done, the atmosphere, characters, voiceacting, music, everything is very well done and the replay value is high.
Mass Effect 2.
6 / 10 overall because of the bugs
9 / 10 if you survive all the bugs and flaws then you get a highly moving dramatic role playing game like no other. With very beautiful and expressive art and brought by topnotch voice actors.
Just like ME1, this is a sexy intelligent game. But the clunky controls -mediocre combat- and the bugs prevent it to be that masterpiece it should have been as a game.
The bugs and flaws, see thread.

I bought the Collector's Edition. Essentially (if i try to ignore the pile of gameplay-disturbing bugs and poor controls) it's a fantastic game but in this state 6 / 10 at best.
Combat control isn't very good on PC. Hammerhead (the small spaceship) control is awful (that is: the controls are simple, but how the thing reacts is beyond insane what a crap vehicle).
Oh and don't forget to manually save before each mission: Some missions may turn out impossible and a waste of time trying with the current team, but you cannot go back to ship! Loading an earlier save could force you to repeat many previous steps -unless you saved just before each mission.
Mass Effect 3
8 / 10
A beauty again. But less so, and less inspired, than the previous two. Story-wise it goes downhill, towards an ending that should never be.
Very entertaining impressive game again though.
Max Payne.
3 / 10
Qua gameplay (controls smoothness) excellent. But that's the only positive. What's wrong with this game is the lame cliché. "Film Noir", my ass. This is cheap pulp crap. The character in his leather jacket with his annoying voice and tone in "tough guy" mode, reading from his diary is a laugh. Since the parody "Dead men don't wear plaid". you have to come with a better tone to be taken seriously. This "Payne" (oh the lame wordgame) is the kinda guy i'd like to see getting run over by a bus or falling off a building and stay dead.
The story part of the game is quasi literature that could be interesting but does not make a good game. The game as such with its bad voice acting and overall bad design is ultimately annoying.
Max Payne 2.
3 / 10
See above, just as bad.
Mech Warrior 2 - Mercenaries.
* / 10
Win 95. Bought it (for €2,50) only to see what it was. -.-
Mech Warrior 4 - Vengeance.
* / 10
Win 98. Bought it (for €2,50) only to see what it was. -.-
I guess this game needs a controller; it's awful on the keyboard. While it's also looking primitive i didn't manage to enjoy it in level 1 already. Quits.
Medal Of Honor 2010
8 / 10
"Bullets -or broken bones. Bones heal."
Pretty good oldfashioned dramatic War shooter. This time against the Taliban. Very lifelike, realistic (i guess on the military part, and it's a thrilling adventure, and certainly on the environment/terrain part which is done excellently).
Good untill the buggy first HELLFIRE MISSILES order! Where nothing seems to work anymore but you have to pass that to proceed, and replay mission seems the only way to get it done. And after two years still no patch for that bug, goddammit you EA! :thdown:
So i replay mission. Does it help? No. At "Secure the Warehouse" the map falls apart, one step outside and i fall into the deep, where the game automatically secures that you're dead. Twice in a row now, so i postpone continuing for a next time. Will i ever finish this game?
Update: yes it worked. Until the last target... i aimed but no missile was fired, "mission failed". The bad news then is: the bug comes back. Meaning: the whole missile thing will not work anymore at all and you need to restart the whole mission again to get a next chance! :thdown: REALLY!. :mad: :vlol: But after yet another retry it worked. Replayed from last checkpoint, the map did not fall apart this time and the missile scene went very well.

Later, on a 4-wheel terrain-motorcycle, following Dusty to a location, we arrived there but Dusty didn't get off his bike. So, the game was stuck at that spot, nothing happened and nothing to do. Restart Chapter fixed it: Dusty steps off and subsequently i step off my bike too. This is the kind of bug that may happen a few times. Like later on foot in the mountains, walk ahead of Dusty and he may freeze saying "Can you see Neptune?" and nothing happens for minutes. You cannot see Neptune because that is way further ahead and you cannot walk to that point yet (invisible blockade). First Dusty has to get ahead of YOU; just walk back to him as close as possible and wait for it. When you turn around he is suddenly respawned where he should be.
But if you just accept that sort of minor issue, you get rewarded with a beautifully made, immersing thrilling experience, in varied modern combatsituations.
Medal Of Honor: Airborne.
4 / 10
I don't like the checkpoint system: if you die you have to play the whole level over from start.
This is on Windows 7 x64. In the first level, you must destroy three airmissile-turrets. With a lot of adventurous battling between the various locations. There is no checkpoint between the turrets! This determines your goal to not enjoy the game and the battles, but to travel as quick as possible from one turret to destroy to the other, while avoiding at all cost to get killed. Everytime you kill an enemy but fail to proceed on your path, they are within seconds replaced by newly spawned enemies. When you die, you get to restart the level from the moment you drop from the aeroplane with your chute! It annoyed me so i quit.
Next day i thought i was gonna replay the mission (because it started with me getting dropped from the aeroplane). I landed in the middle of the town this time. Then i went for the 'first' turret (that i destroyed yesterday)... to find it was already destroyed! So the game does save that it is destroyed yet at the same time it puts you back into the aeroplane to replay mission!? :smh: :nuts: So i went for the second one, mowed away all nazis on my way to it... then when i destroyed the second turret, one of my teammates screamed "Hell of a job! We got two more!" So: no, the first one may look destroyed but apparently it isn't? Or what? It turns out eventually that yes the game does save after each destroyed turret. After that, later on in the game you sometimes see during the game a checkpoint has been made. They are way apart from each other, the battles are quite chaotic where several of the headshots you make have no effect yet you lose health quickly getting shot at while you're reloading your primitive weapon. So you die and get to restart from checkpoint way back.
This game is so bad: when you're close to nazis, they run at you kicking you while you are shooting them. Apparently bullets don't kill them closeby, so they kick you to death while you're shooting them.

Fix for problem installing on Windows 7 x64 (process aborts when it wants to install Ageia drivers): first uninstall your current Physx drivers. Install the game (which then starts with the Ageia drivers), and the 3 updates. Game runs fine then. Do not reinstall the latest Physx drivers again, because the game won't play.
Secondly: next day, to play the game again with the CD still in tray you may get an "Unable to authenticate original disc within time limit. Try again?" error. This is how you get screwed by EA. So you also need a nocd patch (GameCopyWorld, google for it).

But the game isn't worth the trouble.
Medal of Honour Allied Assault (+ the expansion packs).
7.5 / 10
Top notch.
Medal Of Honour: Pacific Assault.
7.5 / 10
Top notch.
Medal Of Honor: Warfighter (2012).

Recently got it from a salesbin for € 5,00. Still have to install and play it.
Men of Valor
7.5 / 10
Top notch.
Mega Race 3.
3 / 10
Gamblinghall sort of 'entertainment', yuck.
Mercenaries 2: World in Flames
2 / 10
Could be decent for 8-year-olds if it were well-made but it isn't even that.
Rediculously crappy. 1/10 for instant action, and an extra 1 for at least trying to deliver the experience of free traveling through a wide environment with pretty landscapes.
Messiah.
6 / 10
Funny, good humour. I couldn't really get into it though. Not so pleasant controls.
Metro 2033
8½ / 10
Awesome game. Strong atmosphere and good AI. Great design and suspense. Despite generally quite poor, dull voiceacting (russian-accent-american with somewhat forced pronunciation, -and the kid is annoying, badly trained for the job), or rather reading from a paper; some characters are much better than most, especially one sounding like a real american "freeze! or i'll kill you!", he sounds very natural. And really too many monsters jumping onto your face.
Metro Last Light
6 / 10
MUCH less thrilling. Again overly sinistre, i don't like that. Half of the voice-acting is poor, not only in english but also in the native russian; one half is good but the rest is read from paper instead of truely acted.
AI are surpisingly unaware of you until you touch them. They don't even notice the red laserbeam from your weapon... Good thing there's plenty ammo and filters! The designers seem to believe that intelligent aliens with extremely ugly monsterheads are plausible (look at the young dark one! with his mouth!)...
It gets totally rediculous when you meet that guy who challenges you to kill him, and he doesn't get killed by headshots. But one shot from him down the stairs kills you. This unbalanced game derails... those are just a few of many reasons the game doesn't capture.
Sometimes, for no reason Artyum takes off his gasmask, no way to make him put it back on or snatch another one from a corpse even though it is offered with the icon and "E"... he refuses to pick it up and just dies, the idiot.
It has its visual moments and effects, but that's about it. At several spots i thought "now it begins, something is going to happen" but it never did, you're dragged from one depressing location to the other, shooting your way towards the credits in a half-baken game.
Microsoft Flight Simulator (2000).
1 / 10
Not for me.
Middle Earth Shadow of Mordor.
Although i only payed 10 euros when the game was more than 1½ years old, i had pretty high expectations for the game. What a disappointment. The visual expression of all the characters that are not the protagonist and his lovely wife are very good, the makers display pleasure in creating lifelike monsters. But the main character and his wife are mainstream TV characters.
Also, i don't like where 3d person dark adventure combat games are going. Call me old school minded, i don't care.

4 / 10
Not for me.
Mirror's Edge
8.5 / 10
A Masterpiece! I'm loving it. Thread 1 - Thread 2

Mirror's Edge Catalyst
9 / 10
Another Masterpiece! Enjoying it very much. Thread

Morrowind The Elder Scrolls lll -GOTY.
3 / 10
3 / 10
I bought it in the same year as my Radeon 9700Pro. I found it a very impressive game to look at but didn't understand a thing or how to proceed. Role Playing Game with much too much text and not so much humour (except when you choose to carry no clothes at all, you get reactions :whi: ).
So i'm grateful for this speedrun: --- >
"My time is precious, so make it quick! ...Aaahhh!!!" :vlol:
Moto GP 2.
* / 10
Myst lV - Revelation.
7 / 10

Blín D'ñero
Site Admin

Post by Blín D'ñero »

N

Necrovision.
6 / 10
It's... it's... partly Painkiller, now set in WW1. But by far not as good. Where Painkiller is like a feaverish nightmare, this game is monotonous and rediculous. Chapter 5 ends with two terrible bossfights after another, one against a tank scorpion, that -after destroying its replenishing towers- takes another million of bullets from all your guns to kill. In the process it destroyed my armor vehicle, so i had to continue on foot. In the end i used godmode to be able to finish it, plus the second bossfight that followed. I hate these kinds.
In all aspects the game is not well balanced. Even the voiceacting: most of them are done extremely poorly, but some others are very good. 3D-positioning of the surround sound is broken. Horribly cheesy comments by the main character (to Mephisto: "Simon says kiss my big ass"). Except that the controls are very smooth, overall the game is a very energetic shooter (no pauses), everything that was so good about Painkiller is absent. What's left is a tedious pile of rubbish.
Need For Speed Hot Pursuit 2 .
8 / 10
Old and dated by today's standards, but back then: Absolute top!
Need For Speed Hot Pursuit 2010.
7 / 10
The modernised version of Hot Pursuit 2. My opinion in this thread.
Need For Speed Most Wanted.
8.5 / 10
Absolute top!
Need For Speed Most Wanted (2012).
4 / 10
This is a fiasco. Thread.
Need For Speed Porsche 2000.
7.5 / 10
Great!
Need For Speed Prostreet.
4 / 10
I hate it. I hate the whole setup of this game, and the carhandling as well. I don't play online, that leaves the "solo" mode, and it just sucks. I miss the fun of Most Wanted and the old ones. I didn't buy it when it was new, i bought it over a year later from the €5 salesbin!
Need For Speed Shift.
8 / 10
Magnificent! And beautiful. I like the ingame presentation (the menu system), how it looks and sounds (awesome!), the interior view... and it's friendly: you get rewarded for many things. Everything Grid can't offer.
I like the colored signaling line (brilliant!), the 'corner mastering' as one of the essential challenges... The precision/sensitivity of the steering, the 'challenge/reward' system, well implemented, challengeing and effectively keeping the enthusiasm at peak.
But i played with the keyboard only (which is pretty hard because acceleration is always either 100% or 0%; steering is reduced to wobbling between left and right, you cannot control the doseage of gas like on a gas pedal) obviously a steering wheel (i do have a Momo but don't feel like setting it all up) would be the way to get most out of this game. On keyboard, the dedicated "Drift" challenges are not possible at all. (During normal challenges you may drift now and then but that's technically a different case).
I don't like the constant sound of slipping tires (even when you're not slipping -the effect is very distracting), and i hate how quickly you get accused of cutting track (even when it's in the outside of a corner! :nuts: ).
With keyboard, it is practically not possible to do the drift-only challenges, it is not possible to spin opponents, and something like the Invitational Event Veyron / Nordschleife (where one of the tasks is to perform a clean lap :vlol: ), where everyone's in a Veyron, is impossible. :xmad:
Need For Speed Shift 2: Unleashed
7 / 10
It seems more or less the same game as the first, but it's not as good.
Complaints: I HATE the new User Interface, it looks nice but is very unpractical, while that from Shift 1 was nearly perfect, why change??? I hate the night races I mean why would anyone, well i wouldn't. You can easily lose your lights in a crash, and then it's over in the darkness, don't even try anymore even though you were at front. Not to mention the drifting, apparently still a big item to them but who cares about that shit (not me). I hate it when an opponent pushes you off track there's a big chance (70%) you get kicked in the nuts again by the "warning cut track laptime will not count" message. Too many parts i skip like 5) The Eliminator (time challenge) where you have to drive the Dodge which i can't, i hate that car, moving like an anvil over ice. The 9) Hotlap Gauntlet with the Koenigsegg friggin crap car. The "Classics Muscle", i don't even want that. Generally the steering feels unbalanced, making some cars impossible to drive on keyboard. The gameplay fixes they did to Shift 1 seem completely forgotten.
It's still a good game, but with the abovementioned complaints, plus that they're taking their game too seriously (fun forbidden! and with continuation of one of the worst elements in Shift 1: when you dare to slip into the grass by mistake you're accused of cutting track goddammit), in my opinion they almost ruined it.
Need For Speed The Run.
4 / 10
Failure. Lousy controls for PC. Waiting for patch. But even then, the game is horrible. Takes away all the fun in racing that was typical of the Need for Speed series.
Need For Speed Underground.
5 / 10
Disappointing.
Need For Speed Underground 2 .
4 / 10
Even more disappointing.
Need For Speed Undercover.
8.5 / 10
To me this is NFS Most Wanted 2. BIG fun! Although the graphics and environments could have been better, the concept is very well worked out! Great carhandling and excellent audio. From start you get persued by police and earn skills battling them. Golden formula, what's more fun than that?! Whenever you like, by hitting TAB you can switch to take part in streetrace challenges. Addictive. And very high replayablity!
Now after patch 1.0.1.18 perfect carhandling, more challenges and at career start not so slow and sluggish anymore.
No One Lives Forever.
8 / 10
Good and funny.
No One Lives Forever 2.
8 / 10
Funny. And buggy. Annoying that npc's keep respawning, see through doors etc. But still it's mainly funny and very entertaining for sure.

Blín D'ñero
Site Admin

Post by Blín D'ñero »

O

Obscure.
3 / 10
Rubbish and not even scary.
Oni.
7 / 10
Good and dynamic.
Operation Flashpoint - Cold War Crysis.
7 / 10

Blín D'ñero
Site Admin

Post by Blín D'ñero »

P

Painkiller + BOOH .
8 / 10
Used to be one of my favourites, back in 2004 ~ 06.
Untill Overdose (from the salesbin).
Pretty buggy, rediculous, annoying, but also challenging and great fun.

Painkiller Overdose
2 / 10
I lost it in the weak and silly first level -a sort of weapons and monsters circus, and never continued it.

Painkiller Resurrection
4 / 10
Resurrection, -fanmade product- seemed more old style, but it's very much not the real deal. And the poor voice acting ("paaain." or "deeaaath" or "it's... maaadness" while killing a monster) is irritating. You can easily arrive outside the map, or on other locations where you're apparently not supposed to explore, like on a roof and be stuck. Holey secret on a mausoleum roof doesn't get aknowledged (after all the effort to get there...). Still a nice attempt, some well hidden secrets in the first level. Halfway Forbidden Valley (more than half of the 609 monsters killed) i stopped, and uninstalled this mess.
My 4 / 10 is for the first level.

5½ / 10
Painkiller Hell & Damnation
A remake... WHY?? One of the key elements was the wallclimbing, and a very flexible way to manipilate your armless body towards hard to reach places, that's gone now. You could backtrack to get all secrets, that is gone. But why abandon those key elements? Puzzles that are copied over are now crippled, why? I keep thinking the original was way better. I replayed it just before i started this game.
In H&D i tried to enjoy but mostly irritated myself through the levels (Insomnia), now in Looney Park, i bang my head why they did not improve the original. Compared to the original, they smoothened it out that's all. In Looney Park, you can fall in the gap between first and second level (why?! it doesn't add to the challenge, if you fall you die and the checkpoint has to reload at that same spot: it's just a stupid jump over a bloody gap. ... if you die in that gap you have to redo the battles since the previous checkpoint, Because you can't save anywhere. You also cannot track back to fetch that unused armor now that you received more damage from the fights. Why are the previous sections sealed??? Horrible (bad taste, way worse than the original) FMV's with very weak voiceacting. Puzzle/challenges copied but made easy, taken out the hard stuff, planks over pits and traps, etc... As a remake it's a bad product. Compared to the original Painkiller, it's crap.
As a standalone game -pretending there was never an original- it isn't that bad at all, i mean there are a lot worse games than this.
Penumbra Overture Episode One
7 / 10
Original. I stopped early in the caves, should pick it up again soon.
Peter Jackson's King Kong
7.5 / 10
Good!
Pirates of the Caribbean.
0 / 10
Absolute crap.
Plane Crazy.
7 / 10
Funny.
Portal.
9½ / 10
Awesome. What a great game!
Portal 2.
9 / 10
Awesome again. Superb! Be it that it maybe is much too easy, 2. the male 'AI core' voice was a bad choice: the guy reading from text acting spontaneity is -i'm so sure of that- not the effect they would have wanted for this game. In Portal it's a romantic joke that the AI has so much Human elements. The male voice actor overacts that, ruining it that way. The female (Caroline) however is exactly right, excellent!
The puzzles are great and overall the game is a beauty! :cute:
Postal 2.
3 / 10
At times funny. That does not include the killing of innocent people on purpose, and the sick manners and attitudes. The makers of this game don't seem to have a complete brain, and/ore just hate everybody and everything.
Prey.
8.5 / 10
Beautiful and surprising. One of my favourites! I find this a better game than Doom 3. D3 is one continuous tedious hack'n-slash horror; Prey is actually a good story and much more beautifull as a whole, better worked out on the Doom basis. The main character (Tommy) has personality, expresses feelings and thoughts, doubts, we can relate to. He's an apprentice (towards the old indian). The Doom character is rather hollow and expressionless.
Prince of Persia: Sands of Time.
6.5 / 10
Very nice. But horrible controls, badly transported to PC.
Prince of Persia: Warrior Within.
3 / 10
After first level i stopped. I saved after the first challenge-fight, but when reloading game i have to do it all over again. It is whacky and not interesting enough.
Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands.

Only just bought, from the salesbin (€3.99 !), not installed yet.
Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones.
* / 10
Bought it as a 3-games pack (POP 1,2,3). Haven't played it yet and probably never will.
Prince of Persia 2008.
7 / 10
Beautifully designed for 10 year olds and their mothers, and i like it too. Plays with fluid controls and looking very nice, though in a children's fairytale book kind of way and a silly story. Too many prefabricated combo-moves for the climbing and fighting variations. Press E to heal the fertile grounds... yeah right. The game is more beautiful than i expected, but also much more silly than expected. :( I can't stand having bought something i don't immediately like, so i continued the game trying to like it, and it IS a beautiful game. That you don't die is a good invention (it means no constant reloading of the level :thup: ), and the lightseed collecting is actually big fun! But see here. So i quit this silly game.
They are killing PC gaming with their bad transports, assuming PC players use a controller instead of keyboard and mouse! :shakes:
Project Eden - Max Load: 4.
* / 10
Project Snowblind.
4 / 10
Mwoah.
Prototype
3 / 10
Hmmm. Utterly boring. Flat. Predictable. The main character's over the top ability and lack of any personality and human sense keeps my motivation-meter to launch & enjoy this game at 0 (zero, nil). Each time i browse through my installed games i skip it. Rather replay Mass Effect, NFS: Undercover, Chronicles of Riddick to name a few.

Blín D'ñero
Site Admin

Post by Blín D'ñero »

Q

Quake.
* / 10
Quake 2.
* / 10
Quake 3 Arena.
7.5 / 10
So addictive.
Quake 4.
7 / 10
Fine.

Blín D'ñero
Site Admin

Post by Blín D'ñero »

R

Race Driver: GRID.
2 / 10
Ugly, and i can't get that car under control. Any Need for Speed drives infinitely better.
Rage
6 / 10
Pretty good combat, the AI is no sissy. How i liked the game is written here.
Rally Championship 2002.
5 / 10
Good, for the genre of serious ralley. Well-made, but it's not my genre.
Real MYST -realtime 3D version.
6 / 10
Riven - The Sequel to Myst.
6 / 10
Rage Rally.
* / 10
Remember Me
5 /10
Esthetic presentation and graphics. The game turns out to be a complex combo-moves combat product (japanese style fast as lightning moves and kicks), i don't care about at all. And it's made for a controller, typically not for keyboard + mouse.

Resident Evil 3: Nemesis.
0 / 10
Complete crap
Return to Castle Wolfenstein.
8 / 10
Excellent, beautiful and great great fun.
Ridge Racer Unbounded
5 / 10
Despite gorgeous design and many aspects that could have make it an addictive game, sadly it is a total fail.
A shit game that i will never be able to complete (by design you must do the awful drifts).
Rogue Trooper
Can't remember how it was. Must recheck this one.
Roller Coaster World.
* / 10
I forgot