ATI videocard related

Knowledgebase collection for PC, as well as useful tools.
Blín D'ñero
Site Admin

ATI videocard related

Post by Blín D'ñero »

HDMI vs. DisplayPort vs. DVI vs. VGA (digitaltrends.com)
ATI Spring Cleaning
Just in case, here's what you'd need to do if you find the driver times out on install. Please be cautious with this procedure and do not remove any software devices, as they can be difficult to reinstall without reinstalling the OS.
  1. Start up with only one card in the system
  2. Uninstall ATI drivers through the control panel -> add/remove programs
  3. Reboot into safe mode (hit F8 at boot)
  4. Open a command window with admin privileges
  5. Type in the command prompt:
    • set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1
    • start devmgmt.msc
  6. In Device Manager, enable show hidden devices
  7. Uninstall each display adapter in the list (present or non-present/hidden - appearing transparent); by right-click > Uninstall. (Make sure to check the box to remove driver files if possible)
  8. Uninstall any non-present/hidden "PCI standard PCI-to-PCI bridge" devices from system devices. It may also help to uninstall other non-present hardware, but be careful about software and non plug-and-play devices (don't remove them).
  9. Reboot normally
  10. Let windows finish finding new hardware
  11. Power down and plug in all new hardware
  12. Boot and let windows finish finding new hardware
  13. Reboot and let windows finish finding new hardware (if it needs to)
  14. Install newest Catalyst
Source
rage3d

ATI Catalyst A.I.
What is it, what does it do.
Catalyst AI functionality (Catalyst Control Centre only). The basic idea behind Catalyst AI is that it gives the end user the option to completely disable the optimizations in ATI's driver should they feel its necessary.

For those of you interested in specifics, Catalyst AI uses ATI's Texture Analyzer technology (R9600 Series and R4xx series) to optimize performance in any Game/3D application. What about support for older boards? Ati have responded with the following: "We fully support CATALYST A.I. on all R3XX hardware. In fact the R3XX series of products will see an even larger performance boost in Doom 3 than the RADEON X series of products."
ATI believe that whilst doing this they maintain the correct image quality and in some cases can even improve IQ. Cat AI does this by analyzing individual textures as they are loaded in order to choose the best and fastest way for them to be displayed. Settings available to the user are Off, Standard and Advanced. By default the drivers are set to Standard. In most cases Standard should be sufficient as it uses less CPU overhead than Advanced and its up to the end user to decide which option works best on their system in each particular game or application. There should be no IQ difference between the two settings however in games where there are frequent texture loads or when using a slower system the extra computations may cancel out the performance increases gained by using the Advanced algorithm.

As well as the texture optimization algorithm there is a second aspect to Catalyst AI and that is the application specific optimizations and tweaks. Examples of these application specific items are forcing Anti Aliasing off in the driver for Splinter Cell or Prince Of Persia because AA doesn’t work in those titles. ATI have informed us that they will never specifically detect a synthetic benchmark with Catalyst AI optimizations however some benchmarks may see improved scores due to using game engines that have improvements within the driver. ATI have also guaranteed that they will only optimize if they can do so without any reduction in Image Quality.

Just to be clear, disabling Catalyst AI disables application specific optimizations, bug fixes and generic optimizations.
Source driverheaven.net
Which cards can you combine in Crossfire?

See the AMD Crossfire™ Compatibility Chart. (amd.com)

ATI Catalyst Crew Feedback
AMD strives to continually improve our drivers and software and we invite you to tell us how. If you are experiencing a problem with our latest driver release, or if you have suggestions on how to make our drivers better, please take the time to submit your feedback.

This program is intended to gather feedback for specific driver releases and not to solicit regular support inquiries. This is NOT the location for support for your product. Support requests will NOT be responded to.

This survey is completely anonymous and confidential.

ATI Catalyst PC Vendor ID (1002) List
AMD Developer Central developer.amd.com
This page is provided as an engineering resource. The list is of current shipping hardware supported by the current Catalyst Driver.

ATI Catalyst CCC Driver details chart
CCC Driver details developer.amd.com
HD4870 LED ID's.

D1601- Red LED On, shows critical temperature fault < Card overheated

D1602- Red LED On, shows External power connector A was removed < No Power from this plug

D1603- Red LED On, shows External power connector B was removed < No Power from this plug

D601- Red LED On, shows critical Core power fault < dead card

Video Memory Stress Test
This utility allows to thoroughly test your video RAM for errors and faults. Video Memory Stress Test includes more than 40 tests, doesn't change your current video mode, has a lot of test options and a logging feature.

Download majorgeeks.com

Video Card Oven Baking Technique to Repair Solder Guide

When you have nothing to lose, try to Save a Dying Video Card with a Quick Bake in the Oven.

Comparison of all ATI graphics processing units wikipedia

AMD's ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series Custom Filtering AA hardocp
Main PC: Asus TUF Gaming 570-Pro (wi-fi) * AMD Ryzen 7 5800X * Noctua NH-D15 * Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB * Asus TUF Radeon 6800XT * Creative AE-9PE * 2 x Samsung 980 Pro * 7 x WD Gold HDD * Corsair HX 1000 * 1 x Asus DRW-24D5MT * Dell U3010 * Windows 10 x64 *

Office PC: Asus ROG Strix X570-E * AMD Ryzen 7 3800X * Noctua NH-D15 * Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB * MSI Radeon 5700XT * Creative Soundblaster ZxR * 2 x Corsair Force MP600 * 7 x WD Gold HDD * Corsair AX 1200W * 1 x Asus DRW-24D5MT * Dell P4317Q * Windows 10 x64 *

Old workhorse PC: * Intel i7 4790K * Noctua NH-D15S * Asus Maximus VII Hero * Corsair Force MP510 480GB M.2 SSD * 32 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum CMD32GX3M4A2133C9 * Sapphire Radeon R9 290 * 3 x Dell U2410 @ Eyefinity 5760 x 1200 * Corsair HX 1000i * 7 x WD Black / Gold HDDs * Creative Soundblaster ZxR * Asus DRW F1ST * Corsair K95 RGB * Corsair M65 PRO RGB * Steelseries 9HD * Coolermaster STC T01 * Edifier S530 * Sennheiser HD598 * Windows 10 x64 *
Blín D'ñero
Site Admin

Re: ATI videocard related

Post by Blín D'ñero »

Radeon BIOS Editor
Tutorial on how to use RBE (techpowerup.com)

My 4870X2 was running too hot at idle, even after i had cleaned the card and reapplied thermal paste.
I decided the fan profile in BIOS needed adjusting.

I flashed my HD4870X2 with my own improved fanprofile, using ATI Winflash and RBE (Radeon Bios Editor).

[Tutorial] ATIWinFlash - How to flash the BIOS of your ATI Cards (overclock.net)

VBE7 - vBIOS Editor for Radeon HD 7000 series cards techpowerup :thup:

If you don't want to edit the bios and prefer using MSI Afterburner: Getting Started with Radeon HD 7970 Overclocking (overclock.net)
Main PC: Asus TUF Gaming 570-Pro (wi-fi) * AMD Ryzen 7 5800X * Noctua NH-D15 * Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB * Asus TUF Radeon 6800XT * Creative AE-9PE * 2 x Samsung 980 Pro * 7 x WD Gold HDD * Corsair HX 1000 * 1 x Asus DRW-24D5MT * Dell U3010 * Windows 10 x64 *

Office PC: Asus ROG Strix X570-E * AMD Ryzen 7 3800X * Noctua NH-D15 * Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB * MSI Radeon 5700XT * Creative Soundblaster ZxR * 2 x Corsair Force MP600 * 7 x WD Gold HDD * Corsair AX 1200W * 1 x Asus DRW-24D5MT * Dell P4317Q * Windows 10 x64 *

Old workhorse PC: * Intel i7 4790K * Noctua NH-D15S * Asus Maximus VII Hero * Corsair Force MP510 480GB M.2 SSD * 32 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum CMD32GX3M4A2133C9 * Sapphire Radeon R9 290 * 3 x Dell U2410 @ Eyefinity 5760 x 1200 * Corsair HX 1000i * 7 x WD Black / Gold HDDs * Creative Soundblaster ZxR * Asus DRW F1ST * Corsair K95 RGB * Corsair M65 PRO RGB * Steelseries 9HD * Coolermaster STC T01 * Edifier S530 * Sennheiser HD598 * Windows 10 x64 *